Injection Pinto?

Guest Malcolm Binns

Guest Malcolm Binns

I need to swap the engine out on my S7 sometime soon - need to change over to unleaded, so it makes sense to drop a 2litre in in place of the present 1600... I note from a previous thread that Bill (and Joey?) have been running various cars on unleaded with no ill effects, so that may work for a while....

Is it possible to take the 2.0 injection engine, and just place the 1600cc inlet maifold (and standard twin throated Webers) onto it? The alternative would be to try and squeeze the injection stuff in, but I guess that room will be tight inside the engine bay anyway.

I've been offered a 2 iltre normally aspirated from a transit, but I seem to recall that these were not as good (different CR?) is that right?

Any ideas/coments greatfully received.

Malcolm

you're correct in your assumptions, yes you can fit the manifold from a 1600cc to the 2,000cc, but it depends which carb you're looking at. :( You need either the 32/36 DGAV, or even the 38 DGAS don't even bother with the 2v thing, if that's the carb, forget it,the manifold 7 carb are worse than useless, either go and look for a 32/36 or a 38. plus manifold, do as some of our builders have done, they made good use of the 2 ltr injection engines and fitted the injection gubbins etc. as well (not my scene, can't help you there!)

Guest Malcolm Binns

Thanks Jim. What's the issues with putting the injection gubbins into S7? I assume the main issue will be bonnet clearance.

Also does anyone have any comments on the transit engine - would be a simpler swap.

Found a source of ****leaded**** fuel today, but at 107.6p/l it's going to be even more uneconomical to run the car!

Malcolm

A number of members have cut & shut the intake pleum (spelling) chamber,thus lowering it so that it fits under the bonnet, in fact Dave Wilson used to do a 'kit' to do the job. One of the problems is that you need all the ECU etc.

Can't comment on the Transit engine, except that no-one uses it.

The concenious of opinion is to just run the engine on unleaded as normal, as it's going to be some considerable mileage before the valve seats become knackered. Alternatively, you could use an additive with unleaded. the 'Lead replacement' petrol doesn't seem to be all it's cracked up to be anyway.

If it was me, and it was just the 1600 engine straight out of the donor, nothing special, I would just run it on unleaded, and look for a 2 ltr to replaceit with at a later date.

as they say..................the decision is yours!

Guest AWhite

You can get a product that is a cylinder full of lead that bolts into the petrol line. It replaces the lead that is missing and is supposed to be good for 100,000 miles.

Not sure of the exact name of it, but I have seen it on another hoodies car.

Guest TerryBarry

I've seen discussion on this device before - the general opinion was "Don't Bother"

My knowledge of chemistry tells me that metallic lead is insoluble in hydrocarbons (petrol) at normal temperature and pressure.

The lead in petrol was added as tetraethyl lead Pb(CH2CH3)4 - sorry can't get the numbers in proper sub-script

Terry

I am using a 2 ltr trannie engine fitted with Hi Comp pistons I can see no difference to the 205 block. I have also lowered the Vellum chamber takes a long time but it is not that difficult.

Dave B :D

post-6-1065116386.jpg

So Terry, you wouldn't happen to know if I can buy/make a bottle(block,packet, strip, tablet) of tetraethyl lead and how much to add per gallon. Is it actualy illegal to make your own genuine leaded petrol additive? After all Bayford Thrust still make genuine leaded petrol for sale through their outlets.(Nearest one to me is 40 miles. Use half a tankfull to get there and back!)

Nigel

Guest Malcolm Binns

Nigel,

I bought a third of a tank of genuine 4* leaded fuel today, but at 107.9 pence per litre, I don't think that's a viable alternative. I guess this was through a Bayford garage, though I didn't check - the shock of paying that much for petrol dulled my senses!

All the local garages have stopped selling LRP, and for some reason I believed this was as good as leaded for the car. I guess I'll follow Jim's advice and put unleaded in the tank and see what happens.

Malcolm

Guest TerryBarry

Oh Boy,

Here is a basic definition of the substance

"(C2H5)4Pb, viscous, colorless, poisonous liquid.

It is an organometallic compound prepared by reacting ethyl chloride with a sodium-lead alloy.

It's a bit like that hydrofluoric acid - you don't really want to handle this stuff.

I wouldn't think that you can legally purchase this in the UK.

In the US some company marketed an additive that was based on an organo-tin compound (may have been STP) - helps prolong valve seat life but not as good as lead.

I found a link to a supposed source - called Tetraboost - the Lord knows what the legal position is.

But it don't work :(

Have another go

Try

Terry

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest TerryBarry

Further to previous message

My understanding is that unleaded fuel contains a significantly higher level of benzene ( a carcinogen) however when correctly burnt this should be converted to water and carbon dioxide.

If complete combustion is not achieved then if using a lead additive then not only is your exhaust putting out poisonous fumes but possible carcinogens.

If anyone is interested in this product - research it very carefully before parting with money :ph34r: :ph34r:

Read This

Terry

Anyone know what the position is for avgas (aviation fuel for piston engines used in planes). I was once told that this stuff has about 8 times the amount of lead that 4* had. Did they stop the lead being added to that? can you get it at airports and take it to fill your "plane" elsewhere? Is it as expensive as 4*? What is it's octane rating?. Basically could we mix it in some suitable proportion with our unfredded and not kill our engines (or take off unexpectedly). Or am I talking second-hand cr*p.

Anyone work at an airport?

Next time I'm at Warton I'll ask the nice girly in the flight crew uniform that I usually see in the canteen. It'll be one of the more original excuses to open a conversation with a pretty girl. But if anyone else knows in the meantime you could save me from embarassing myself.

Iain

Guest TerryBarry

Iain,

Seen a price quoted for AVGAS at 96p / litre (incl VAT) - I don't know what the level of duty is on this fuel

It is also blue in colour

This stuff can contain a maximum of 0.56g Pb / litre

Leaded petrol is about 0.1g Pb / litre

There is a derogation to the Directive which allows for "old vehicles of a characterstic nature" to use leaded fuel - there is also a limit of 0.5% of total road fuel sales.

PS

2003 Budget gives fuel duties as

ULPS (Ultra Low Sulphur Petrol) 47p / litre

AVGAS 28p / litre - might explain why it's dyed blue

Terry

Guest AWhite

Airfields normally sell Avgas 100LL which 100 octane Low Lead (LL). This is the best for a car.

I am told Avgas is slower burning because aircraft engines only rev to around 2700rpm. Also Avgas is designed to have a lower vapour pressure, so aircraft can fly at altitude without pressurising fuel tanks.

If your gonna start using higher octane fuel you need to make sure your compression ratio is sufficient.

Some guys I have spoke to use a mixture of 50/50 unleaded and Avgas to get the lead/octane mix that older tuned cars like.