Pinto Engine Running-on

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Hi guys

Sold the Exmo, and bought a Marlin - sorry my allegiance has slipped. Still a member of RHOCAR though! The new car has a Cortina Pinto 2000 with a 'leaded' head (squirt a Castrol super goo into petrol tank on each fill-up). The previous owner fitted a carb from a 3 litre Granada, and I think a Piper camshaft (don't know what model or stage of tune). It also has a bolt-on Mobelec 130 electronic ignition package if that rings any bells with anyone.

The problem I want to fix is that the engine sometimes 'runs on' for 5 seconds on so when I turn it off. No obvious cause. Spark plugs look sooty if anything, and no symptons of overheating. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Mike G

Hi guys

Sold the Exmo, and bought a Marlin - sorry my allegiance has slipped. Still a member of RHOCAR though! The new car has a Cortina Pinto 2000 with a 'leaded' head (squirt a Castrol super goo into petrol tank on each fill-up). The previous owner fitted a carb from a 3 litre Granada, and I think a Piper camshaft (don't know what model or stage of tune). It also has a bolt-on Mobelec 130 electronic ignition package if that rings any bells with anyone.

The problem I want to fix is that the engine sometimes 'runs on' for 5 seconds on so when I turn it off. No obvious cause. Spark plugs look sooty if anything, and no symptons of overheating. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Mike G

It's obviously too rich, and the engine is still running on the unburnt fuel that's around.

also check the timing relevant to the camshaft fitted

Guest mark kingston

has it got an electric cooling fan fitted??

if so does it only do it when switched off when the fan is running?

i had a similar problem and it turned out to be the feed for the fan was picked up from the ignition circuit and once it was switched off as the ignition as the fan slowed it acted as a generator and put power back in to the ignition circuit and caused it to run on.

Guest ian c

im running my 2litre pinto with a carb off a 3 litre essex, i used to have similar problems, i had the carb jetted down by a webber agent, this cured the problem!!!(too much fuel)

hope this helps?

ian.