Radiator Fitting

Guest soon2benakedrockstar

Guest soon2benakedrockstar

ok so im at that stage of the build where i need to fit my rad. Im building a 2B with wishbones and have the rad that come with the kit. What I want to know is where to position the rad. How to mount it. (pictures would be really helpful). Or if anyone has used a different type of rad and would highly recommend it due to weight,size and that sort of stuff.

Look forward to seeing some replys. If all goes to plan could have the engine running in a few days!!!!!! :D :D :D

Guest Dan_Beeston

Do you have the huge Visteon alloy rad?

I ditched it in favour of a coolman one like TerryBarry, much easier to fit and works perfectly! (I've got a thermostatically controlled electric fan, and it only comes on in traffic really)

Guest robin

I've got one of the coolman rads too. mounted the same as terry barry. I still have the viscous fan behind and an electric fan in front too. I don't think the electric one has ever come on! I've cowled my rad to get as much airflow over it as possible. Pics below, in my garage.

Robin

Guest keith12

Gone out today and started to overheat in traffic I have a coolman rad but a standard sierra fan at the of summer last year there was no problem.

On a normal car when the fan kicks in it seems to spin at a very fast speed but with my RH there seems to be no difference in speed it seems slow, is there something that is not kicking it in like a thermostaty thingy thanks Keith

Guest peter2b2002

is it a viscus fan or electric?, i have a electric fan with cowling around the coolman rad, even at le mans last year 35deg it was ok,

pete2b

Guest keith12
is it a viscus fan or electric?, i have a electric fan with cowling around the coolman rad, even at le mans last year 35deg it was ok,

pete2b

Its a viscus i think the unit might be faulty but I cant remember last year how fast it was spinning it just seems to slow to cool anything

Guest chris brown
Its a viscus i think the unit might be faulty but I cant remember last year how fast it was spinning it just seems to slow to cool anything

Even with the viscous fan it should really be cowled otherwise the air tends to rotate around the fan area rather than being sucked through the rad. I realise pusher fans (in front of the rad) are not as efficient as a sucker but it is very much easier to cowl in front than behind. Also fitting a good electric (Pergeot/Citrone 504/604/BX/MX etc. are probably the best) fan and getting rid of the viscous one releases more power to the wheels and very rarely runs.

Guest Dee Jay
ok so im at that stage of the build where i need to fit my rad. Im building a 2B with wishbones and have the rad that come with the kit. What I want to know is where to position the rad. How to mount it. (pictures would be really helpful). Or if anyone has used a different type of rad and would highly recommend it due to weight,size and that sort of stuff.

Look forward to seeing some replys. If all goes to plan could have the engine running in a few days!!!!!! :D :D :D

I had the large ally rad which I could not get t fit any which way (2ltr DOHCi ford) so I swopped it with another one thats actually shown it the brochure, think it's from a cortina, this fitted ok with a bit of modification.

Dave

Guest salty_monk

That's the Coolman one.....

Personally I would go with a Seat rad as per the one shown on the NW site. Aluminium & Cheaper too. It also has an integrated bit for the electric switch. Wish I'd know all those details before I swapped mine out last year.

Dan :)

Hi,

I went up to GBS the other month and they had installed the big Visteon Rad horizontally infront of the engine on top of the chassis rails. The theory was that the heat dispersal was better. The rad was cowled to force the air up to it.

It actually looked good, but I think they were using that new nose cone. I am going to see if it will fit horizontally under the standard nose cone when I get round to fitting the rad.

Cheers

Nige

Hi i fitted a rad out of a fiat uno ,worked fine last year when i took it to La-Mans (very hot weather) small rad with water exp on the side of it

Duncan

Guest keith12
Further to myr ecent wrist slapping this is not a for sale ad in the wrong section but I will have a spare Coolman in my car boot at Newark should anyone be over heating!!

:) :)

May see you there if it will get there as long as its not to hot