No New Wheels On Wagon

Guest Phil_h

Guest Phil_h

Hi Guys,

Apologies up front if this is a bit of a numpty question :D

I got some alloys to replace the steel wheels from my sierra sapphire doner see picture below. The only thing is the nuts aren't wide enough to hold the wheel on and when mounted over the studs before fastening the wheels move around alot unlike the nice tight fit you get with the steel wheels.

Am I missing something ? do I need wider studs and nuts ? How do you replace studs ? :huh:

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Phil

post-1244-1181489649_thumb.jpg

Guest Dan_Beeston

Are you using the nuts that were holding your steels on?

If so you need to get some alloy wheel nuts, alloy nuys have a much bigger chamfer to locate the wheel.....

Guest Phil_h

Doh ! :D

Thanks Dan.

I knew it was a numpty thing to ask but believe it or not I've never changed an alloy wheel - it didn't strike me they would use a different nut :D

Just had a quick look on ebay for alloy wheel nuts and there seams to be a few different types of ends 60 degree taper, radius seat and flat seat. Does anyone know what seats for use and what size and thread pitch I should be looking for ? I've had a look in the haynes and no info in there.

Thanks again

Phil

Guest Dan_Beeston

I think the Sierra alloys use a 60 degree taper, best best is just buy a set of nuts for Ford alloys, should suit both the taper on the wheels and the thread on the studs :)