Lsd

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I'm thinking of fitting an LSD back end to my 2B, I want it both for the disc brakes and for the LSD itself, but first off there's a few points I'm not too sure of, it anyone can help out that's great:

- The standard Sierra open diff is 7", right?

- The XR4 and XR4x4 are LSD but also 7", but the Cossie is and LSD and 7.5", right?

- If I'm transplanting the entire Sierra subrframe (cross tube, trailing arms, drive-shafts, diff, brakes) does it matter whether the diff is 7 or 7.5", will it still fit?

- Is there any difference in the prop mounting flange between the different diffs, will my prop fit?

- Are all LSDs 3.62?

- What size are the brake discs on the XR4, XR4x4 and Cossie, and will they fit under 15" wheels OK?

Cheers guys

Guest gordon_macnab
- The standard Sierra open diff is 7", right?
Yes

- The XR4 and XR4x4 are LSD but also 7", but the Cossie is and LSD and 7.5", right?
Yes

- If I'm transplanting the entire Sierra subrframe (cross tube, trailing arms, drive-shafts, diff, brakes) does it matter whether the diff is 7 or 7.5", will it still fit?
No and Yes

- Is there any difference in the prop mounting flange between the different diffs, will my prop fit?
No and Yes

- Are all LSDs 3.62?
No Cossie 3.64, XR4 3.62 or 3.92 (V6 or 2.0)

- What size are the brake discs on the XR4, XR4x4 and Cossie, and will they fit under 15" wheels OK?
Yes both will fit under 15"

Guest yosamite sam

took this from the sierra owners club site - thanks..

also i would add - if your putting a 7.5" diff in it has no obvious benefit other than size - but that is a heavy old diff (iv just swapped mine for a 7" LSD

the size could make it awkward to fit or remove

to check if you have an LSD

rotate the input shaft (prop) - both output shafts (driveshafts) must rotate together same direction

or check the tag

'basically ANY diff with 2 or more "A" in the middle code will be an LSD e.g. "AA" or "ADA" any other letters without an "A" in the code IS an open diff.'

diffratios.jpg

'The following diff are LSD.

ALL 4x4 Sierra's and Granada's (2.8/9 and 2.0DOHC and Cosworth)

Most BUT not all 24v Cosworth Granada/Scorpio (upto approx 1994 are LSD, after that they are 'open' type because the Scorpio 24v had traction controll instead)

All RWD COsworth Sierra (3dr, Saff, RS500)

Then you might find an LSD fitted as an option to any Sierra or Granada, but unlikely'

Picture%20547.jpg

'7" on the left, 7.5" on the right.'

Picture%20541.jpg

Guest soon2benakedrockstar

I've just managed with some modification to fit a 7.5'' diff in a 7'' axle. I did this cos I wasnt aware of a 7'' LSD. But hey it's in and it works. If you want any pics then let me know and il send them.

Guest a8dyc

Hi,i'm also in deep thought as to whether to fit a lsd complete with rear discs to my S7.Is it really worth the hassel for a 1600 pinto car.Have sourced one really cheap thats the plus.

Andy

Guest chris brown
Hi,i'm also in deep thought as to whether to fit a lsd complete with rear discs to my S7.Is it really worth the hassel for a 1600 pinto car.Have sourced one really cheap thats the plus.

Andy

Lots of people will tell you that it is not worth fitting a LSD to a car with less than 200 bhp. I disagree, I find it much better (and different) once you get used to it, no more spinning up the unloaded wheel particularly in the wet. Also better rear end control no more of the quick let go but a controllable slide. So I say go for it its easy to fit I think I changed mine in about 3 to 4 hours including discs.

Guest yosamite sam

yea i'd 2nd that - after swapping mine i did notice better take up - but it could of been the change in gear ratio's from 3.36 to 3.62 - 5th gear is much better now.. i can use it! - does feel way quicker tho

Guest timswait

No, give it to me instead! :lol: :p

Seriously, you don't really need it, but it's nice to have (esp. in the wet), and if you do ever get round to getting more power then you're ready for it. There's not much disadvantage to it- apparently more understeer and Andy says he needs to keep both rear tyres equal in terms of wear, the difference in rolling diameter causes problems otherwise, but if I was you, I'd fit it. As for the discs, lots of people say they're unneccessary, but again I think they'd be nice to have, I'm mostly after them for better pedal feel.