Bike Carbs Again!

Guest soon2benakedrockstar

Guest soon2benakedrockstar

Ok so after reading through some other posts I,ve decided that bike carbs are the way forward. Im gonna sell my 45's and invest in some. But what my next question is, What bike carbs do I use? What bike am I looking for to rob carbs from? And what jets am i looking to get?

Guest chippy

Hi mate i am going for the same option . i have bought a set of zx6r carbs as they have 36mm chokes. there is a company called knn who will make you a manifold and space and jet carbs to suit your engine. Dave Castle has put a set on his 2.0 pinto and says they run great with excellent power and torque. He or stu205 will be able to give you some more info

chippy

hi

beware knn have a long wait at the moment because of an injury to the guy that cuts the engine plates has fell of his motor bike.

having said that the value for money is excellent .

but you may have a wait.

regards graham

I would understand you buying bike carbs if you did not have the 45's but why swap 4 chokes for 4 ?

In your position i would go to bike throttle bodies and MegaSquirt, same manifold same fitting problems with linkages as the carbs, yes you need high presure hoses etc and an ECU but now you have total 3D control over fuel and spark.

the carbs we are using are gsxr 600.

the ones we bought were from a 5000 mile bike and cost £68 from ebay.

the respacing and manifold were £138 from knn

but dont forget the wait!

cos we are still waiting

Guest hypermick

Hi All,.

I did a considerable amount of research last year on the use of bike carbs. The tests were carried out using a pinto in a Westfield and various carbs with choke sizes from 34mm - 40mm were used over a period of 6 months. I also researched into producing inlet manifolds, however after very careful consideration I've come to the conclusion that the throttle bodies route is much more preferable for a number of reasons, the main one being their simplicity of operation.

If consideration is given to the huge variations of Mikuni and Keihin spacings, the choke sizes available and the scenario of rejetting and the fact you have to deal with 4 float chambers, when laid against (in the throttle bodies)a common rail fuel line, easily synchronised butterflies and only a TPS to contend with its fairly evident that the bodies are the better bet especially when the mapping is fully 3D manageable as Snapperpaul says. By the way, bodies are much easier to respace than carbs but it is essential that the injector nozzles are kept much closer to the cylinder head to achieve maximum performance.

Mick

Zx 6 r are a good one because the throttle cable arrangement is at the back, I have zx7 ones fitted and its on the other end

and makes it a bit tight for room aroung the dizzy. make sure when you buy some they have nagled float bowls and try and

get the proper rubber connectors with them and they wont fall off. The KNN job is a 1st class bit of engeering will be worth the wait.

Dave

it is essential that the injector nozzles are kept much closer to the cylinder head to achieve maximum performance.

Close the head for good emissions, further away for more power, apparently.

Guest Takumi

Carbs are much cheaper to get running than throttle bodies..! high pressure fuel pump, and a programmable ECU.. +all the bits.. add up...

Carbs literally, once you've got a manifold, will run straight out the box with just a main jet change >1.7mm..

My bike carb setup cost me about £35, I made a manifold and bought a set of Fazer600 (33mm) carbs for £20odd..

Compared to Weber DCOEs, Mikuni or Keihin carbs are much simpler and will deliver better mpg.. Don't dismiss them so quickly..

tk

Guest timswait

It seems to me that bike carbs have some advantages, but are only marginally if any better than the Webers you already have, so why go to the effort of changing? I doubt very much you'll get any more power, perhaps a slight improvement in mpg, maybe a slight improvment in drivabilty, probably no easier to set up and balance, why bother?

Guest salty_monk

They should be easier to setup & balance & be much more progressive with more MPG & possibly a little more power.

That said I would only do it if I stood to make some money back on those 45's......

Dan :)