Vicky Green - Relay Or Not Relay

Guest shamrockgs

Guest shamrockgs

I have a VG loom and a 2l pinto on my car with sierra stalks. The loom cartoon says to use the relay picture if its a later loom, otherwise the non relayoption. Can anyone tell me how to tell early from late sierra stalks? The VG blurb says look for the 'brown wires - small ones that clearly aren't big enough to take the headlight current require relays'. I can't tell if these are small wires or not.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Gingerfix is your man and he told me that there were seven different variations of stalks in the Sierra lifetime. The later they got, the lighter they became (ie, they relied more & more upon relays). If you're in any doubt, it'd be prudent to fit relays as a matter of course. They're not expensive and you'll know then that all will be well. There's plenty of diagrams on my website and a whole host of info & more knowledgable folk than me on this Forum.

As a rough guide the early relay stalks have a part number starting 83 BG 12X345XX. The first four digits are the important ones. These were in use till sometime in 1987 and can be used without relays on main and dip (although I put two in just for my own satisfaction). They also work a little differently from later switches in that the switch is in the positive supply to the lights. Also the screen motor is wired constant ignition live and the column switch is on the earth from the washer.

AFAIK all later column switches part numbers 87 BG or 90 BG need relays for main and dip. The sierra from 87 on had a five relay dim dip system which you can keep if using the sierra loom and fuse box or copy using the sierra relays and wiring diagram (only if you enjoy knitting blindfolded while wearing boxing gloves). The headlamp flash works by earthing the main beam relay so it makes sense to wire the relays with constant feed to the switching terminals. The on/off switch runs to earth and connects to 56 on the dip switch, 56A and 56B connect to the switching relay terminals and it should work fine. Just to make life more complicated ford also changed the washer switch so that from 87 onwards it switches the supply to the motor, not the earth. The VG loom can't cope with this change and likes to take the washer supply direct to earth leading to blown fuses, hot wires, sparks and small fires. It's easiest to run a new supply wire from the washer switch terminal 53C to the motor and then to earth without delving into the loom.

Nigel

Guest robinj66

Nigel

Sorry to ask a stupid question but i really get confused with electrics :huh: - If using the 87 switches, do you need to use the whole 5 relay system (with a VG loom) or can you settle for one relay for high beam and one for dipped?

Guest shamrockgs

[Not a stupid question at all - its =just the kind of thing I need to know.

Thanks for the other replies which are v helpful.

Am I the only one who can build a car, weld anything, use a lathe and be an all round mechanical clever-clogs but am completely floored by electrics? Perhaps we need a electro-phobics support group.

Gary

quote name=robinj66' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:56 PM' post='135489]

Nigel

Sorry to ask a stupid question but i really get confused with electrics :huh: - If using the 87 switches, do you need to use the whole 5 relay system (with a VG loom) or can you settle for one relay for high beam and one for dipped?

Not a atu

87 switches and onwards don't use the whole dim/dip 'pack' out of the sierra. Just use two relays, one for main and flash and another for dip. If the relays have terminals 85 and 30 connected to battery live, 87's to either main or dip lamps and 86's to 56B & 56A you should have full function including flash.

Nigel

Guest robinj66

Thank You

Just as a matter of interest, why did Ford put so many relays in when it appears one will do the trick? There must be some advantage, given that ford never spend money unless they have to.

Dim/dip relays make up the extra numbers. Side light switch activates one relay to link dip beams in series and another to power the circuit. When headlights are switched on, another relay has to deactivate the 'in series' linker relay despite the sides also being on. Sort of vaguely. Possibly.

Nigel