Dvla Inspection - This Thursday 21.6.07

Guest nik4chef

Guest nik4chef

Hi all.have got to take car to Gosforth DVLA in a couple of days for inspection, can I drive it there? I have had conflicting advice from Swansea and local DVLA!

Also my engine number is in a difficult to see place under exhaust manifold - took me a while to make it out so do you think "jobsworths" are gonna create? Any further advice/info appreciated.

Stan. :mellow:

Guest timswait

Sorry, don't know for sure, but logically if you have to get it to the inspection and you're allowed to drive to and from an SVA or MOT test you should be OK, then again when has logic come into it? I drove mine to the inspection and the inspector didn't make any comment. My engine number was also hard to read, I told the inspector what I thought it was, he looked at it and agreed, I think they're used to the numbers being pretty hard to read.

Booked SVA/MOT Tests are NOT the same as DVLA Inspections with regards to getting vehicles there.

My letter specifically stated that the car could NOT be driven to DVLA and that it had to be transported with ALL wheels off the ground.

Sounds like Grizzly has got the official line on this. I drove to my inspection though, and I know a fair few NW Hoodies have done the same. I arranged the appointment by phone so never had anything telling me NOT to drive it, and the inspector just said 'oh, you drove it here then'. I guess the 2 'bad' scenarios are: plod pulls you and you have to explain, worst result is you could end up fined and with points; second is you have an accident and your insurance gets involved (tells you where to go). I guess it comes down to your attitude to risk/ the law. I regard myself as law abiding (ask anyone who has been behind me in a 30 limit!) but I thought that 30 mile round trip on familiar roads was OK. Thinking about it, it was only the drive there that was dodgy, because it was registered by the time I left! HTH, Brian

My appointment was just for the BUI.

The actual registration process was subsequent to that.

In fact, the BUI place (for Leeds) and the DVLA office are miles apart.

It really does all vary between Local offices all over the country.

On top of that, the rules/guidelines are constantly changing.

This is why we're all in such a quandry with regards to all of this.

plod

Charming!

I was actually directed to drive to my BUA. After the SVA I drove straight to the DVLA in Shrewsbury and after waiting 2 hours was told that they only do the BUAs at the SVA centre and would I mind driving back there for the appointment?

This really was daft because as we all know the VOSA inspector checks exactly the same things, and had done so a short while earlier :aggressive:

Guest allenr03

I had a build up inspection last week and drove there. I was told by Worcester DVLA that it is OK to drive the car if it is to be registered on a current plate i.e. built from all new components. It is only if the car uses donor parts from one or more vehicles that it has to be transported. It is something to do with the donor's identity and not being able to use it one the road unless it is taxed. (Until you register the car as a Robin Hood it is still registered as the original donor.)

If your Super spec is one of the Rover engined cars you'll be ok I think. If you use donor bits my understanding is you have to have it transported.

If you get busted don't blame me though - I'm telling you what I was told!! :rolleyes: B)

Rich

PS The inspection lady at Worcester had no trouble reading the engine number (she did burn herself though!) they are used to scrabbling around to get access to stuff like that. Actually the staff at Worcester were pretty good last week and I take back everything I said about them (except that one cow!!)