Dodgy Clutch?/fastcam ?

Guest charlie

Guest charlie

I n the process of sorting the 2b after a shunt with a BMW on the M25, and replacing what i thought was a dodgy clutch

which was causing a severe judder on take off (that was my excuse for scratching the guys rear bumper) i get the

engine out only to find what looks like a perfectly good clutch? (10,000)mls.Maybe its the gear box mounting? any

one with similiar probs? One other thought as the engine is out is to fit a Kent fast road cam, any advice on timing

it up etc would be gratefully recieved,Hoping to be back and running by August fingers crossed,

Charlie

Guest salty_monk

Timing info available on Kent's website..... make sure you use a vernier pulley too. Best way is a RR setup.....

Judder could be gearbox mounts or maybe oil contamination on the flywheel?? Or possibly even a burnt cable not releasing smoothly. How's the pressure plate & thrust bearing?

Dan :)

Yep, I get that too, but it's intermittant.

Nothing to do with the clutch cable or the clutch itself; I have no idea why it does it (most noticeable after a trip with a hot engine, such as queueing to get into Stoneleigh. Happens mostly in reverse.

Guest charlie
Timing info available on Kent's website..... make sure you use a vernier pulley too. Best way is a RR setup.....

Judder could be gearbox mounts or maybe oil contamination on the flywheel?? Or possibly even a burnt cable not releasing smoothly. How's the pressure plate & thrust bearing?

Thanks Dan, the cable is fairly new i replaced it for that reason. and the pressure plate ect look ok

although the car was driving ok through the gears i had to keep the revs up to get away with out judder which was

pretty violent! maybe i was a bit paranoid being in the outside lane wall to wall traffic and the temp guage moving

north,but a new clutch is going in any way. and i`ll check out the gear box mountings

Ill check out the Kent web site,

Cheers Charlie.

I had a similar problem, severe clutch judder while pulling away. The clutch had done about 12,000 miles and had been in the car for 9 years. Changed clutch cable, checked diff and gearbox mountings. Removed the clutch and it looked perfect. I put in a new one anyway as there was nothing else left to change. Problem cured - no more judder. I assume that long periods of inactivity over the winter months might have a detremental affect on the pressure plate spings? As you have the clutch out anyway it would make sense to change it.

Guest charlie
I had a similar problem, severe clutch judder while pulling away. The clutch had done about 12,000 miles and had been in the car for 9 years. Changed clutch cable, checked diff and gearbox mountings. Removed the clutch and it looked perfect. I put in a new one anyway as there was nothing else left to change. Problem cured - no more judder. I assume that long periods of inactivity over the winter months might have a detremental affect on the pressure plate spings? As you have the clutch out anyway it would make sense to change it.

Thanks nigel,

That makes me feel i am at least going in the right direction,

Charlie

I fitted a fast road cam in my engine, timed it up to what the web site said.

While driving it had power bands and dead spots, took it down to the RR and it is completely different to drive, just power straight through the gears with 134 BHP with standard ports. :D

Guest charlie
I fitted a fast road cam in my engine, timed it up to what the web site said.

While driving it had power bands and dead spots, took it down to the RR and it is completely different to drive, just power straight through the gears with 134 BHP with standard ports. :D

Sounds good to me Glen 134 bhp will do nicely. though never "done" a cam before so i will take all the

help i can get before going ahead,

Charlie

Guest salty_monk

Make sure you fit a vernier pulley for maximum effect......

Adjusted ignition (advance curve) will also let you see maximum benefit. Piper 285 or Kent FR32 are the ones most people go with.

hi

defo change clutch, i had the same thing with one of our vans, it was fine till hot in traific then juddered like hell, but was fine when cold,

stripped it and found a small burnt spot on the plate,prob from towing.

changed clutch and no probs since

regards graham

Guest charlie

Thanks lads, the cam is in and ready to time in i have used a kent fr32 kit so i hope all will be ok.

a bit suprised that there was no timing disc. but hopefully with a vernier pully we will be allright.

the new clutch is waiting. all i need now is the locost nose cone from GBS any day now(i hope)

and the body work can go ahead.

thanks again,CHARLIE