Car Suggestions

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

after looking over insurance details more carefully, the 1.7 puma is twice as much to insure as the 1.6 so not sure if I could justify it but without it it's not as appealing, would it be a bit slow for whats meant to be a sports car? to add a different direction, what about a diesel discovery/defender with big tyres a snorkel and a winch? lol wouldn't be as much fun on the road but I've always fancied doing a bit of green laning and gentle off roading, would be better when my town floods again aswell... lol anyone got any experience with such a thing?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have driven an old Defender what a sluggish nasty beast with crap steering, very, very heavy. You'd soon get fed up with it, I promise you (to say nothing of the fuel costs, it's a real guzzler).

Shame you can't insure the 1.7 Puma cheaply enough - I had one from new and it was truly amazing (this after my Subaru Impreza Turbo RB5 WR Sport so it had quite a car to live up to). Very quiet inside as well (I kept stalling it because I couldn't actually hear the engine sometimes). I drove it in 4" of snow and the traction control was super considering it's a kind of cut down version. The car never put a foot wrong and the engine, which is a special Zetec variant with high tech cylinder liners revved like mad. I don't accept it is a hairdresser's car although whenever I see them, they are usually being driven by ladies. Such a cool car. I have a set of roof bars that fit it, and together with a roof box was able to carry almost anything. The only annoying thing is opening the boot in the rain; the water drops into the car from the sides. Other than that, it's an excellent choice and cheap, too. I am thinking about buying another one myself now the Hood is gone.

Cheers

JonB

Guest a8dyc

I have a diesel discovery that i pull the wife kids and caravan in.Great for towing but very bumpy around town i hate it.It is the es model with electric seats leather etc etc but its slow and bumpy.Soon as i can afford a ML Merc the disco's going.

My advice is to buy German(Do not buy french.YUK!)

Andy

Guest Petemate

Recent purchase after writing off the Focus Ghia TDdi - Rover 45 Impression TDi. Great car - 50mpg plus (mainly Oxford-LHR daily) and that is speeds of at least 69.999mph. The performance, especially at the important 50-69.999mph for overtaking is great. Also a bonus is the cambelts are an absolute doddle to change. 2 litre engine, developed between Perkins & Rover from the old O-series also known as the Prima marine engine. Insurance is very reasonable and a nice quality car (unlike the horrors I used to work with at Leyland years ago) For a diesel it is lovely to drive and shows a clean pair of heels to most things I've come across.

FWIW

Pete

post-18-1183461595_thumb.jpg

Guest docter fox

I think the problem is that I want something that I can tinker and play about with... the puma would be fun to play with on b roads and there's a few things I could tinker with but could only afford to insure the 1.6, don't suppose anyones been in one?

will try and find out a bit more about a chunky 4x4 too

Guest peter2b2002

i have a P reg disco tdi commercial ,good for towing the horse and a 14' trailer, not as good as my old range rover though, given the choice i would go for another range rover , seen some good ones 3.9 full spec £2900, if you gas them you can get 30 mpg

pete2b

Guest yellow peril

There's a big forum alike this one with puma babbling on - link below

http://pumapeople.com/

I found some decent purchasing info on there - though there is a lot of rambling about polishing', what 'wax' to use and that sort of - ignore that and you might find something usefull.

:D

I spent much of my childhood in the back of a Discovery - they're the most god awful, hateful, nasty, uncomfortable, ugly, expensive, pointless, polluting piles of dog doo man has ever created. Just my opinion of course ;)

Do yourself a favour and get an Alfa GTV B)