Has Anyone Tried A Porsche?

Guest geeza79

Guest geeza79

Hi

Having not built a Robin Hood Yet i am still very new to kits cars. However i do have a Porsche 944 and was wondering if it would fit. It is a 4 cylinder 2.5ltr engine, rear wheel drive with the gearbox/differential in one at the back to aid weight distribution. Im not sure of the size constraints as the engine is quite wide because porsche designed in a balancer bar/cam to equal out the vibrations from such a large size 4 pot.

Just an idea. Let me know what you think

Guest allenr03

God knows, good luck though!!

The cars use Sierra rear axle so I'm not sure how your diff/gearbox set up would work. Can the engine be mated to a different (normal) rear wheel drive gearbox like the Ford MT75 or type 9? You might be able to do something with it then.

Guest timswait

Anything's possible, but I very much doubt it would be worth the effort. Fitting the tranaxle in the back would be a massive engineering problem, it would also be fairly pointless. On a hood the engine is mounted well back from the front axle, so has pretty even weight distribution anyway, at SVA mine was slightly heavier on the back axle than the front, so what's the point trying to put the gearbox in the back? As Rich says your best bet would probably be to try and mate it to a type 9 or MT75 and then use a Sierra diff and back end. Is it a particularly good engine anyway? I thought they were basically Volkswagen van engines ;) ?

IMHO if you're after a more unusual engine the Nissan Turbo V6 or the VW/Audi VAG 1.8T sound very promising.

seriously not worth trying that, there would be few benefits (as opposed to other engine / gearbox / diff combinations) and would be an immense amount of work, probably more work than deisgning and building your own locost style chassis.

Hi Chris ,

I can understand your thoughts on using a 944 engine and drive train , but the overall engine to gearbox dimensions my well be a problem as it is a fixed length due to the torque tube and thus you would have to work from back to front to find out where the engine if at all possible would fit in the engine bay to start with , plus many other problems to overcome as the Porsche rear suspension is a whole new ball game but an interesting one all the same , and oh yes i have had a Porsche for many years and know them well , so my advise for what its worth is think twice and get lots of advice , one big plus would be no propshaft troubles as long as the internal bearings are ok in the torque tube ,

Best of luck

Mike

Go have a look at a bare chassis at one of the shows, you will soon see that the tubes at the back would need a lot of cutting and re welding, probably better to start from scratch than butcher a chassis designed for the sierra diff. IMHO

Guest geeza79

Thanks for all the replies. I have no intention of doing it, it was just a thought that i had and wondered if it would be possibe and thought i would put out there and see what was said.

And as far at the VW Van Engine Comment. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the 924 had a vw collaboration with porsche for the engine. When that came out and everone realise it was a pile of c%@p they had a sudden rethink. The 944 engine is bigger, more powerfull and completely designed at PORSCHE! there are not even engine parts that can be swapped. They also re-designed the suspension and braking hence the wider wheel arches etc.

Ok Rant over.

Guest geeza79

The 924 does make a good track day car and in a lot of respects is very good but being a 944 owner it gets annoying when people say "its a van engine"

fast bit of kit even though mine is 24 years old

Just quickly measured a 944 motor at work today they are pretty big, about 50 + cm wide, difficult to judge as it is lying over, (is it half of the 928 motor?) 65 cm high, deep sump at the rear, and 77 long, over the dizzy sticking out of the front.

The Pinto is about 50 wide 55 long and 60 high but of course made out of heavyonium. :o

Nice car though the 944 even if they are 25 years old.

btw. balancer shafts were of course designed by the Britsh engineer Fred Lanchester back in about 1905.

Peter