Gps Unit

Guest tom2b

Guest tom2b

I have got the new nokia n95 phone and it has built in gps, to run it at optimum performance in my car do i need an additional gps receiver unit, if so is there a model any one can recommend?

Guest ballin

From what I've seen the built in receiver seems pretty good, probably worthwhile fitting the phone charger into the car though as I'm sure the battery will take a hammering running that on a long journey (and you dont want it to die!).

Otherwise if you really want an external one then tomtom do a good kit bundle

Guest tom2b

When i say external i actually meant one of those receiver things that sits on the dash.

I already have an in car charger as i know what nokias are like!

Guest peter2b2002

on my acer pda gps i had to use an external arial got from fleebay to get a good signal went from 2 to 10 sats , it drains the battery very quick so allways plug it into the ciggy lighter

pete2b

Hi , Sometime ago i bought a Holox off ebay , bluetooth multi channel receiver is is a nice bit of kit small and compact and if necessary you can even plug and external aerial in to it should the need arise , i use it with ipaq via the bluetooth connection , hope you get sorted ,

regards

Mike

Guest John Williams

Had trouble running my N95 in a tin top and had to resort to my external bluetooth unit.

I suspect it has to do with the way it is advised in the to hold the unit flat to pick up a GPS signal

and in a phone holder it's vertical had something to do with it.

It could also be I'm impatient, aiting for more than 2 minutes and aquiring only one satalite!

I don't think much of the software supplied, compared to TomTom either.

It does work, but seems a little buggy.

Messages like "At the roundabout....At the roundabout....At the roundabout...." don't help much, whilest trying to get around Cardiff. :huh:

I may as well let the nagivator try to tell me which way to go :)

I subscribed for a month, but am going to get TomTom6 to load on instead.

HTH.

John

Guest john

Sorry lads, can't helpyou much with this stuff, it just went Whizz over my grey locks.

But it did lead me to wonder if there is still anyone else out there like me who relies on road signs :huh: ,

still squints with failing focus into a scruffy atlas, B) and occasionally asks another human being for the right directions ?? -_- :rolleyes: :help: :help:

Answers in large font please !!!

Guest John Williams

I still do use a map now and then if I'm the navigator, but find the 'Sadnav' holds it's own better than my dear other half. :angel:

It doesn't panic as much and generally gives clear instructions.

Still have to use your brain with it though.

Found it tremendously usefull last year when locally, a few roads were closed

due to flooding, multiple muppets driving too fast and the ensuing police clean up operations!

I switched it on and did totally the oposite to what it said. :shok:

Why?

Everyone else with the same 'Sadnav' followed it down the single track roads from both directions.

Absolute chaos :) :D

John

I have a holux too - One of these - which works well and are undoubtedly available cheaper or secondhand. Regarding the poor signal, I do find sometimes that if I acquire the satellites well initially, like hold it flat, maybe outside the car, that it holds them well thereafter where it wouldn't always acquire them well to begin with. Does that make sense? Might be worth a try.

Guest mastarforth

just as a point does your car have as heated front screen?

this used to cause a problem, but not sure if it still does, I like Geff had said have found on my mobile it was easier to get the signal from outside the car, then the signal was very rarely lost.

Guest Dan_Beeston

I use the same Holux diddler as mentioned earlier in this thread, has been totally reliable so far, just turn it on and chuck it on the dash of whichever car I'm in, or between the seats of the Hood, never needed an external aerial.....