Sierra Rear Axle To Gaz Shocks

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Hey guys got a question. i have a superspec and am about to mount the rear axle to the chasis via GAZ shocks as supplied by RH. For the life of me though i have no idea how to mount the shocks to the rear axle. How would i go about doing this and if anyone could help out with piccies that would be great.

Many thanks as always.

Joe Green

if your gaz shocks have an eye at each end fitting will be similar to these here

with a U bracket in the bottom of the sierra spring seat on the trailing arm

if your shocks have a stud fixing at one end this goes thru a hole in the spring seat

Steve

Guest chris brown
if your shocks have a stud fixing at one end this goes thru a hole in the spring seat

If I remember correctly the Super Spec suspension top mounts are in a different place to the 2B and therefore the mounting to the arms are about on the edge of the spring cup and not in the centre I have just tried a search but could not find any pictures but I'm sure there is somewhere. Perhaps one of the Super Spec builders have a photo they can put on here for you.

Guest Jomeo69

Yea i realised they didnt go into the same place in the seating dome. so are there any specific measurements or is it where the shock comes straight down into the seat. also steve u mention a U Bracket. the shocks i have do have eyes on them so how would the U bracket work???

Many thanks

Joe

Guest chris brown
also steve u mention a U Bracket. the shocks i have do have eyes on them so how would the U bracket work???

The U bracket can just be seen in Steve’s last photo and is similar to the one at the top of the shock with a hole in each side of the U to bolt the shock in and a hole in the bottom of the U to bolt it to the suspension arm. The position of this U bracket is determined by having the shock hanging straight down from the top mount with no sideways pressure. I think it was Dredd who ended up with his right on the edge of the old spring cup and had to fabricate a “stand” for the bracket to fit on and someone else welded a plates right over the old spring cups then welded the U bracket to them). When fitted both top and bottom shock mounts the bolts should be aligned straight across the car.

Guest robinj66

Here's how i fitted gaz shocks to the rear of my S7.

I can confirm that gaz will supply you with a sleeve to go through the eye of the shock mounting

Guest Alex Spratt
Here's how i fitted gaz shocks to the rear of my S7.

I can confirm that gaz will supply you with a sleeve to go through the eye of the shock mounting

What open and closed lenghts are your Gaz shocks and what spring rating are you useing?

Whats the ride like now? would you change anything if u could do it again??

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, its just i have a friend with an S7 who would like to change to gaz adjustable coilover (from seperate springs and shocks) but has been struggling to find out this information!!!

Do u have any more pics or info that i/he might find useful, like how u have mounted the angle bar and any strenghtening?

Cheers

Alex