Sump - Superspec - Rover "t" Series

Guest nik4chef

Guest nik4chef

Have read recent posts concerning sump guards for this engine.It seems some of the Rover "T" series engines had varying depths of sump fitted. Mine is very low - only 2" from ground!! and over an inch lower than oil filter and well below adapter plate!So I think my engine originated from the Rover 820.

Can anyone clarify which engine had the shortest sump fitted? was it 220,420 etc? I must do something about it and fitting a guard would mean the guard grounding regularly! So I suppose I will have to source a shorter sump from the scrappies.

Would there be any consequences to fitting the shorter sump? ie, would it mean less oil in the system etc? Could I get mine shortened?

Ideas and suggestions welcome! Mine really is low!.....Stan. :unsure:

P.S. Am now road legal with "07"plate! :D

Guest allenr03

Hi mate

I think my engine is the 220/420 engine, I have about 3" ground clearance and had to move the filter because it was the lowest part. I still scrape the car on my drive and speed humps!!

The 820 sump is an inch deeper so you're probably right. I guess you could get a sump from a 220 and fit that but I'm sure the ECU's are different on the 820 & 220 - I don'twhat the difference between them is though. (I think the ECU part number for the 220 was mcu101820 and the 820 is mcu101910.) Someone will correct me I'm sure.

Not sure that helps!!

Glad to see you're on the road, I'm on an 07 too :-)

Rich

Guest Dredd

Stan

The 820 had a lower sump and that is clearly what you have. The 220 and now it seems the 420 or 440 also was made witha shorter sump. They are exactly the same in terms of fitting but you will need the shortened pick up too. You should be able to pick one up from an internet breaker or the Rover forum.

As far as the ECU is concerned, I have fitted a new ECU after the RHSC one died. The part number suggests its from an 820, but my engine is a 220 or 4 series. In fact the 820 ECU is better than the one RH supplied.

Hope this helps.

Derek

All ECU's on the 20li T series are the same although the wiring diagrams have variations in terms of colours.

The units are all MEMS 1.6 I am lead to believe a MEMS 1.9 will work but the basic map is different and this version was only fitted to very late 420's

The Jap sourced ECU's used by RH have the unique Imob mapped out and this sometimes works.. Went down to see Paul at AVON last week regarding a problem I have on fuel pump relay output on the ECU and on inspection my ECU is a 1.9 but it has been butchered and I have subsequently swapped to a 1.6 with the extra box of tricks from Paul to ensure the imob input is happy.

With regard to swapping sumps, the Rover manuals idenify that the sump is sealed on and shimmed to fit so obviously this could be a problem.

What ride height have you set at the front ? With an average 6.6 inchs front and rear my sump is 4 - 4.5 inch clearance so the guard then gives me 3 'ish...

Tony