2b Dohc Rear Suspension

Guest pmk159

Guest pmk159

I have watched the video a number of time but still can not work out how the suspension struts fix to the sierra trailing arm.

Has anyone got any photos please.

Thanks,

Paul

Yes. Use the sliding inner section of square tube in the chassis, and attach the top of the shock absorber using the bolt supplied, like this:

post-43-1183388975_thumb.jpg

The other end of the suspension is mounted through the existing hole in the semi trailing arms, in the middle of the cup where the spring used to sit in the donor. Robin Hood supply a set of rubber bushes that pass through this hole, and screw onto the end of the shock absorber. It's visible in the top left hand quadrant of this picture.

post-43-1183389130_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, this arrangement is the same as the normal 2B, so I imagine some of the other members have other pictures.

Cheers

JonB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pmk159

Thanks for the pictures Jon

Have you got any pictures of the subframe mounting points ?

From the video I only see four bolts, two on the diff and two on the outside trailing arm fixings.

Is this correct or did you add others ?

Paul

Guest peter2b2002

it's the same on a 2b, thay have round tube though, in the vidio richard says to cut the roll bar down tube as short as pos, DON'T, i did and it's too short, if my shocks settle any more my bums going to scrape the ground

pete2b

Thanks for the pictures Jon

Have you got any pictures of the subframe mounting points ?

From the video I only see four bolts, two on the diff and two on the outside trailing arm fixings.

Is this correct or did you add others ?

Paul

The subframe also attaches on the rubber mountings that it attached to the seirra (the front end of the subframe arms). Put some big bolts through the bush with some nice big plates over the rubber bush underneither. I also cut up into the subframe just behind the bushes to put bolts up through the chassis plate. Bolt it all down tight and you are done. The SVA man specifically questioned me on this and was happy with what i'd done. Oh i also welded the handbrake angle iron to the subframe and then bolted it to the floor and tunnel to stiffen everything up.

hope that helps

Rubber mountings are not used on DOHC, because of the recessed floorpan. In fact the video tells you to grind them off the subchassis tube. Paul, take a look at my website, there are lots of pictures there (although none of the subframe fit because I got a camera after doing that!)

Cheers

JonB

(Hint : Click the "WWW" button below this post)

Guest chris brown
Yeah, and Steve drives it like a nutter.... right Steve?

:)

:p :p Since when? Some people were so unkind as to refer to him as the mobile chicane at Landow :lol: Sorry Steve. But he does go out in all weathers. 8P See you tomorrow at Kimbolton.

Mounting the outer end of the cross tube using the swing arm bolt in single shear strikes me as poor practice. It was designed simply to act as the semi-trailing arm pivot and to be tightened to a specific torque to function in this role. To solid mount the rear cross beam a bolt would need to be at a different torque and not sandwiching in a pivot. Each of these two functions properly needs it's own dedicated flange/bracket.

Nigel

Mounting the outer end of the cross tube using the swing arm bolt in single shear strikes me as poor practice. It was designed simply to act as the semi-trailing arm pivot and to be tightened to a specific torque to function in this role. To solid mount the rear cross beam a bolt would need to be at a different torque and not sandwiching in a pivot. Each of these two functions properly needs it's own dedicated flange/bracket.

Nigel

Guest timswait

I'm seeing double ;) :huh:

I agree about the point about the bolt being loaded in single shear, not good. But I think it's OK to use the same bolt for both. The bush has a steel tube in the middle, so it's OK to crank it up to a high torque. The bump and cornering forces are being fed into the car via the wishbone mounting brackets, so it simplfies the load path to have them go direct into the chassis rather than into the subframe and then into the chassis. I'm more concerned that what the bolts fit to appears to be a bit of thin sheet loaded in bending. I think the DOHC chassis must be a bit wider at the back as the wishbone mounting bolts are directly underneath the chassis tube on my Pinto chassis, and here they seem to be inside. I don't think it's any worse than the Pinto chassis' way of doing it, but it's no better either.

Guest chris brown

I now see where all the confusion arose from (or was it just me). I am also surprised to see the swing arm bolt being used as the only method of mounting especially in shear like it is but as Steve says it does seem to work well and at least it isn’t being ground away on speed bumps etc.