Front Wishbones Help Much Appreciated

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Hey guys id like to ask anyone that has front wishbones Either Superspec or not On Gaz Adjustable coilovers to post as many photos on here as possible as when we went to fit our front wishbones to our superspec nothing fits. Not like a little gentle persuasion either. And was wondering if anyone could shed any light onto how this part of the build althought it is the first could be finished. It seems like we tried everything today and ended up getting really frustrated and despondent :unknw: . It wouldnt be so bad if the garage was next to the house or on the side but its not. Its over the other side of town as we dont have one on our house. Ok Rant Over Many Thanks Guys In Advance

Joe

Guest Tickton Paul

Joe

Have attached pics of my 2B wishbones,they needed a little persuasion to fit and the addition of machined spacers to take up the tolerance allowed by Robin Hood :fool:

I can only upload 2 pics on site, pm me and I will send you more pics.

Paul

post-1946-1183570357_thumb.jpg

post-1946-1183570232_thumb.jpg

Guest Jomeo69

that last pic is one of the problems we have. where there is a spacer on the photo we have the oposite problem where when the front mounting point is in place the rear one sits about 10 - 12 mil too far back so when the angle that is attatched to the bolt comes round it doesnt fit. any close in pics of the final setup would be really helpfull guys

many thanks

Joe

Guest john

Paul,

just a word in your ear so to speak.

That wing mounting bracket you have won't last five minutes without some bracing to stop the vibes.

I KNOW, mine only lasted less than 50 miles before breaking from fatigue.

That one between the hub carrier and the top ball joint.

You will later on attach your cycle wings to the two tubular arms,

i had the same prob with the wing stay it breaks and you end up 50 or so miles down the road with no front wings .

ok if its not wet, if wet its ok if you dont turn the steering wheel cos if you do be ready for the rooster tails of water that were going rearwards to hit you in the face not good.

the way to strengthen them is to get a piece of 3/4 flat and drill a hole the same dia as the wing stay and cut and weld it to the stay so as to stop the flex as it is the flex that breaks them.

i learnt this to my cost on the trip home from stonleigh this year.

regards graham

Guest peter2b2002

i had the same problem as paul on my 2b, i had some s/s spacers made up 23mm at the top and 18mm for the bottom rear wishbone fittings +longer bolts,another RH jig i.e by eye, why they didn't use a wishbone to place the rear angle iron cross piece in the correct place ?

pete2b

Guest Jomeo69

Thanks now back on topic. Anyone have detaild fotos that would be of any use for mounting the front wisbones??? and adjustable suspension???

Guest hypermick

Hi Guys,.

I asked the same question recently about the incorrect line up of the wishbones and Chris Brown confirmed that it was a case of being a known problem and most use spacers to pack the excess between the nylapsa faces and the brackets. I have to say Im not happy with this since it doesnt allow correct castor angle being attainable since the front eyes of the bones have little movement and the rears are put under stress. Measuring up,. if the front box section were slightly rectangular to allow about 4 or 5 mm to the rear of the front bone eye, with the same being available at the rear eye of the bone (top bone only) then the whole wishbone could be correctly shimmed out allowing rearward movement to adjust castor angle correctly.

The correct fix is to do away with the right angled channel section at the top rear and seperate side bracket and put a complete box section in place instead (or short box sections if preferred),. thats the route Im now taking and later on I'll post a photo of it hopefully modified !

mick

Edited by hypermick

Guest Dan_Beeston

Any chance someone could post a pic of their wing bracket strengthening?, I'm struggling to visualise the fix... :unsure:

Cheers,

Dan