Sva Fail

Guest Taffy Rob

Guest Taffy Rob

:( Hi all

went for SVA today, and failed on many an item. Though I would write it up as it may be of some use to someone. It will keep me busy for a while I guess!

-Speedo cable broke on way to test!

-Contactable edges - wishbone mounts (square tube things), track rod arms (locking nuts), my cover wasn't permanent enough (flexible tube sealed shut, cable tied, and tidied up with tape), indicator repeaters (as supplied - the screw holes and screws were okay he said but the radius'd edges weren't radius'd enough), wing bracket mounts, rh's aero fuel filler edges, the rear arches where the metal meets the fibreglass, bonnet heater vents (I meant to cover them and forgot), rear corners of bonnet, rear number plate bracket (I'd covered the sides but not the edge around the rear hoop)

-Lock nuts missing off top ball joints - there were none supplied so I thought I didn't need them. tester also wasn't happy with the thickness of the top wishbone where this screws in

-Brakes. Hum, tr icky one this, the tester wasn't happy with the routing of the rear pipes and flexis (okay), also the back brakes need to be less efficient (more trick y - any ideas?)

-Heat shield needed around exhaust manifold

-Steering - I spent an afternoon making a cover for the mountenay wheel, the tester said 'that's nice', but then told me it wasn't 'approved' and I'd have to fit the sierra one, although he'd be happy for me to change it once it had passed. He also tried like crazy to make the column move cos he didn't like the look of the top mount, after he'd got two colleagues to wiggle it in turn he said 'oh well, it's not moving, so I'll have to pass it'

-Front brake flexis insecurely fixed - nothing wrong with the join or position, but the nosecone panel is not stiff enough to adequatley support it

-Brake pedal insecurely fixed, my tubing holding the unit in place onto the steering column chassis member behind isn't good snough, and needs to be replace by either a welded member or a piece of U section iron of sufficient thickness

He was actually quite a nice guy so I won't hold it against him, but at the same time he was very picky and the test took 4 hours. Les, if you're reading, he was very happy about the top seatbelt mounts after he made me remove the belt (no faith these people!), however he made me remove a seat to check the bottom ones as well! All ok though. And he pulled off the trimmed lagging at the bottom of the dashboard, but then passed it anyway cos it was so well padded. And I passed the noise test by 0.1 of a decibel! Finally, I scraped the sump pulling off the ramp, and now the sump plug is driping oil everywhere no matter how much I tighten it!

As you can see, a few head scratchers here, but nothing that will keep me off the road too long (I hope)

Rob

Rob,

sounds like he went at it with gusto!! :o

Perhaps the rules have changed in the last year, but I understand that the SVA test is meant to be non-destructive. In other words he should not be forcing you to remove seats or seat belts from the car or rip edge trim off.

Contactable edges on rear wheel arches :blink: . That must be a first! And on bonnet vents :(

Thickness of top wishbones :blink: A tric ky one that. It is going to be hard to sort out without actually getting new wishbones made up.

At least now you have a list to work to, knowing that everything else is OK.

Any idea how long for a retest?

Daz

Guest Taffy Rob

Daz

yes he was an eager beaver indeed!

His idea was to weld some thick washers around the end of the wishbone - nice job! Although I think if I were to fit some nuts, then cover them in a nice permanent cover, he wouldn't be able to have a proper look at them anyway!

There are some awkward jobs there, but as you say now I've got a list I can work towards exactly what they want to see, so I reckon it won't be too long before I'm on the road (hope not anyway, the weddings in early June!)

Cheers

Rob

p.s. also, for people still building, note

1. the design weights supplied are wrong - should be 450 front and 600 rear - I now need an official letter from robin hood stating that they have supplied the incorrect weights (and what the correct weights are), bet richard is gonna love that

2. do not fit the inertia belts - its just way too much hassle. In addition to having to weld in some little tubes into the roll over bar to support the bolt, I now need to somehow radius the entire reel assembley, or box it in. Nice! Splash out and get the harnesses instead...