How To Get A Spark On A Rover V8

johnlrichardson

I've fitted a Rover V8 engine. Can anyone tell me how to wire up the coil, distributer and crank sensor?

The distributor has a small plastic box on the side with two spade fittings (2985 on the box). One wire from the crank sensor is black with a red tracer and the other is green. Both have spades fitted and a brown with a bullet connector - think this is an earth. Between these connections is a 7 pin round socket with a screw cover and chain.

I'm not sure if I have all the parts needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Guest robinj66

There should be a number on the side of the distributor body Eg, 35DE8, DM8 or DLM8. (35D8 if it has points) That will help to advise re wiring up

There should be a number on the side of the distributor body Eg, 35DE8, DM8 or DLM8. (35D8 if it has points) That will help to advise re wiring up

the distributor side 35DLM8 3685 and has lucas 9EM ignition module on the side with the 2 spades

thanks John

Guest robinj66

The distributor amp unit should be as follows - the innermost pin (usually white) should go to the coil POSITIVE and the outermost pin (usually black/white) should go to the coil NEGATIVE.

The BLACK/RED from the crank sensor should go to coil POSITIVE and the GREEN to the coil NEGATIVE. I can't be sure about the brown as there's no mention of it in the workshop manual (sorry :( )

I'm a bit unsure as to which of the spade fittings on the ignition module is the innermost & outermost so I've attached a picture to this post. Could you tell me which of the pins (A & B ) should be attached to the positive and negative on the coil? I've never been the best at electronics and am a bit wary in case I damage anything by wiring it up wrongly.

Thanks again for your help.

John

post-1294-1185560443_thumb.jpg

Guest robinj66

Sorry for the delay - I've been at Silverstone over the weekend. B)

The connector that you have marked "B" is POSITIVE and the "A" is NEGATIVE.

Hope that helps :good: