Legality Of Moving Part Built Car By Raod

Guest GJR

Hi,

Made the mad decision to move house during my build and am trying to work out a method of how to move my kit. I am pretty sure that however the car is moved all 4 wheels need to be off the ground. I.e. on a trailer, back of lorry/van.

Some people have said that it could be towed behind a car/van (Car is mechanically complete, steering & brakes etc just bodywork and interior to do) with the wheels rolling on the road. I don't think this is right but can anyone confrim?

Either that or does anyone know where I can borrow a car transporter from near Derby?

Cheers

Gareth

Hi,

Made the mad decision to move house during my build and am trying to work out a method of how to move my kit. I am pretty sure that however the car is moved all 4 wheels need to be off the ground. I.e. on a trailer, back of lorry/van.

Some people have said that it could be towed behind a car/van (Car is mechanically complete, steering & brakes etc just bodywork and interior to do) with the wheels rolling on the road. I don't think this is right but can anyone confrim?

Either that or does anyone know where I can borrow a car transporter from near Derby?

Cheers

Gareth

become a member and look under loan shark to see if anyone got one near you

Guest salty_monk

You might get away with it on a towing dolly. Should really be trailered.

You'll be lucky to get away with having someone sat in it... if you have a trailer board & it's not far you might be lucky.

I know someone who has moved his 1/2 mile or so on the rd but he has bodywork......

if you're moving yourself get a 7.5 tonne box wagon (normal license req) with tail lift, more room for furniture, then with a couple of scaffolding planks supported on the lift you can get the car in the wagon

chock the wheels, tie it down, drive sensibly and bobs your uncle!

Steve

Guest kleighton

I moved recently and rang a local recovery company. I moved about 5 miles and they charged me 30 quid. I never really considered towing it, it's no body work on either. If it's going on a flat bed and you've not got a shortened sump, just be careful :o ...

Guest Dan_Beeston

I think with a towing dolly (2 wheels on the road) you will be legal providing you have a trailer board with lights/number plate on the back of the kit

The reason most people fall foul of the law using dollies is that the dolly/car assembly is classed as a trailer so if it's over a certain weight (~750kg I think, you will need to check this) all four wheels need to be braked by law.

Most car dolly combinations are over this so they can only be used for recovery to the 'nearest safe haven', and not used at all on the motorway.

Pretty sure you would be able to get a hood & dolly under the weight limit, so could tow it as a normal trailer..........

Hire a trailer and move it that way.

If you tow it behind another vehicle as a 'car' it will need to be insured. The only safe way to do that would be dolly under the front wheels which is really more hassle than it's worth.

The only way to move a part-built on the road is on a trailer. Trust me!

Guest TerryBarry

Hmmm,

You can put the front wheels on the tailift lift it up and then with enough assistance lift the rear end up and push it in.

Not so sure that getting it out the other end will be as simple ??

I think I'd prefer a trailer

• 2 weeks later...