Rc Plane

Guest Kieran

Hello,

I bought my brother a cheapy radio controlled plane off eBay for his birthday. We had great fun with it and now I want a proper one!!

His was a basic 2 channel electric one, but im looking for a proper 3 / 4 channel electric or nitro plane. I've had a quick scan on eBay but not really seen anything i fancy.

Anybody got anything sat in their loft / garage/ shed (within a hoody style budget!! ;) ) needing a new home with a new loving owner.......?? :D

Kieran :wacko:

Hello,

I bought my brother a cheapy radio controlled plane off eBay for his birthday. We had great fun with it and now I want a proper one!!

His was a basic 2 channel electric one, but im looking for a proper 3 / 4 channel electric or nitro plane. I've had a quick scan on eBay but not really seen anything i fancy.

Kieran :wacko:

Been there, done that!

The problem with planes, is that when you get it a little bit wrong, they crash! and you then need to rebuild the bloody thing again, & again, & again, etc

Also finding somewhere to fly them, you can't just fly them anywhere, due to H & S, noise etc.

I decided to put the radio's to better use, and went into model boats instead, I have 3 boats, all with radio control, have won comps with them, (many years ago though)

Plus you can let the kids have a go, if they crash it, it just bounces off the side with no damage.

Re: Crashed R/C models. At the Tan Hill Weekend Andy Starforth told me he's built a helicopter but it cost so much he's never flown it as he's afraid he will wreck it. I'm having lot's of fun with my cheepy planes and copters.

I did have a proper 5 channel chopper, but it went for £280 on ebay last year. I crashed it twice and never got more than 12 inches of the ground....

Keep an eye on ebay something will come up.

I've got an engine in my garage, it's a 6cc glow plug one with a propeller in good working order if you want it.

It's only flown once and it had a plain attached to it, it went vertically straight up and out of sight, we waited for a few seconds and then we herd it coming back down, we saw it around 5 seconds before it embedded itself in the field. I had to dig the engine out of the mud and the rest of the plain was just matchwood :cray: .

My youngest lad has got into flying model aircraft. It ain't cheap :wacko:

I would advise that you contact the BMFA, find your nearest club. Talk to the members, someone may have a suitable Trainer for sale as they have progressed to bigger and better things. My lad has a JP Prangster, which is virtually indestructible. You need 4 channel radio gear, loads of engine mounts and props. Try serching "Flying Sites" & BMFA for more gen.

HTH

Nige

Keiran,

I can only re-iterate what Nige has said, try a couple of local clubs as people often move up from trainers to more advanced stuff and will sell them on. Also, be realistic with your first model- make sure it is a trainer. It's not necessarily a case of lots of accidents either, if you can get someone experienced to trim your model and teach you- and I guess it depends on your aptitude. I've had models last years and had a lot of fun building and flying and flying them. I wouldn't recommend a chopper though- they are expensive, delicate, and some flying clubs don't allow them because they are noisy at low level. HTH, Brian

Guest mastarforth

HI Kieran

I bought a trainer from my local model shop and it was not that expensive.

I also bought two kits one of a focker DR1 and the other a tiger moth both of which are built bt need skinned.

The biggest cost will be your controller, but the controllers can be set up for several different planes so once you have done it once all shouldbe fine. A local club is a good source of items and information though

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Robin Allison

Got an over two over wing trainers. if your still after a plane.

One has been crashed but will repair. The other has never been off the ground.

Radio gear is a Futaba field force 6 T6X.

I'll put more info up if your interested.

Guest CLANSMAN

Hi,

I had a dabble, with helis and got two walkera models sitting on a wardrobe, (mini one 52 brushless converted + lipos ) + walkera 36 with standard motor but have brushless motor to convert also with lipos

I got the Picco z bug, then started to upgrade them, and it went from there, spending money, crashing, more money rebuilds etc

Never really got around to master the art... should have stuck to basic 4 channel, than jump to 6 or seven

If I was going to buy one I would go for an Esky as my mate has one and mastered it OK and he is still on orginal motors !!

Parts are cheap, but whatever you buy, your going to crash and its money

I got up in the air with my first copter, crashed, wires damaged lipo battery (£30...first time out and charged) and it popped and blew up like a bubble gum bubble ( scrap) about 50 quid damage and two days rebuild / parts :o

Tried planes , but its space !!

HAVE FUN :D