I Want A Robin Hood

Guest foolhandy

Guest foolhandy

Hello,

It is my intention to buy a Robin Hood of some type during the next 6-8 months. I've wanted one for years and have reached a point where I'm fortunate enough to have the money/space/time for one. Until now it's been an abstract dream so I've not made any concrete moves towards ownership, but now that I'm getting close to looking into getting one I want to make sure I'll fit. I don't want to spend ages poring over books, magazines and websites finding out what would make a good buy, find one to go and look at, turn up, and find I can't get in the driver's seat!

I'm 6' 2" and...a bit on the large side. Not enormous ( I play football & badminton!) but bigger than my doctor would like... I can (inelegantly) get in and out of a Lotus Elise with the hood up and because the one I tried had a tiny steering wheel I could drive it. I have an MX-5 as my daily driver and that's an easy fit. But a Robin Hood is a little bit different isn't it...! I believe the bodies are a bit wider than other such cars, but it's still a concern for me.

What I'd like to know is, before I start the process of phoning up people and showing an interest in possibly buying their pride and joy, what's the best way of getting to sit in a Robin Hood without using a seller as a guinea pig? I don't want a test drive, just to know if I fit.

Any suggestions? And/or am I worrying about this too much?

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl

and welcome, this weekend would be an excellent time to visit the kitcar show at donington, all types and models of rhoods will be in the owners club stand and you could try a few for size, (you wont find two the same) they can be altered to suit you, pedals and seats can be altered steering raised or lowered.

or im sure theres a T vally meet ever month where you could go along and meet some of the local hoodies to you

hth

mitch

Mitch is right, go along to your local area meet and get talking to owners.

The Essex area meet at the Tulip pub in Chelmsford. Call Glynn Rust on 01279 438990. (Details from the club mag )

And there must be lots of blokes your size driving robinhoods, stop worrying and just do it.

Hi Karl,

I'm 6' and bit larger than average, I had an MK1 S7 but which was a good fit but maybe not for someone taller. I now have a 2B plus and have no probs fitting, the seat even has another 3" it can move back so you would fit no probs. When you try a car the steering wheels can be a bit low but can be moved up in most cases.

Good luck finding a car.

Jez.

Guest allenr03

I have a Superspec, I'm about 5'11 and my seat is as far forward as the runner will allow and I sort of "Slouch" in my seat to get full pedal travel. The seat will go back 3 inches and since they are Cobra Roadster seats they lose a lot of padding the Recaro's have (which means more space for legs) but are more supportive and still very comfortable. I reckon you'd be ok. The other nice thing about the SS is the floor is recessed about 2" lower than a 2B (I believe) so you sit lower which is better for taller drivers.

Like some have said though, get uo/down to Donnignton this weekend and have a look at some.

Rich

Guest northern_munkie

Im 6-2...with size12 feet.....and i just bought a RH2B

I went to a kit car show...and the good people of the Owners Club let me sit in a couple....no problem

get your cash out and get 1 bought!!!!!!

Essex club meet is usually on the last Sundat of the month in the Tulip pub, Arbour lane Chelmsford 12 till 2

This month however it is at the car show in Battlesbridge.

Check out Rustys posts in events on the front page.

As said erlier the 2b has plenty of room and when fitted with the Recaro type seats is quite amazingly comfortable for that type of car. The earlier models, S7, Exmo, Series 3 etc can be a bit snug and you would probably need a floor mounted pedal box for some extra legroom.

Im only 5 foot 8, but im pushing 20 stone, so you'll have no trouble width ways :-)

:D like Macca says, there's some big boys amongst us hoodies ;) :D

including myself :blush:

although careful choice of seat is advisable ;)

ek B)

not all of us,but to qoute Richard Stewart on the build video who owned the company when they first came on the market

"these cars are now designed so you can fit the sierra seat, so now fat people will fit"

may not be word for word, but he said something very similar

Mitch