Green Gauges Speedo Problem

Guest Mike Perry

Guest Mike Perry

We've got Green Gauges instruments in our 2B; passed SVA July 06.

Our speedo has been giving us trouble ever since we first installed it. It seems to work fine for the first 5, 10 or sometimes 15 mins; then it just stops displaying speed and recording distance. The LCD display is still displaying but not incrementing the distance; so power is not the problem. The sensor we're using is the proximity sensor which we have picking up on the 4 prop flange bolt heads on the diff; and seems to be giving a good signal.

It does seem to be temperature related but I can't quite see how that can cause the speedo to stop working.

Have any of you wise folks got any bright ideas what the problem might be?

Whilst we're on the topic; the SVA tester wasn't too impressed with the readings of the speedo. He described it as "spikey" but it did just pass; he put it down to being CA instrument. Having said that; I ran it and tried to compare with GPS on a run and sometimes it over read, sometimes under, and according to the speedo we never break the speed limit because it very rarely reads above 70. Although when tested on a local airfield it did show 90, then lept to 70 then 90 and so on.

Again any bright ideas? we would like to get more reliability and accuracy from it.

p.s. Green Gauges weren't able to offer much help.

If the instrument is not faulty it sounds like it is not getting reliable information. A lot of heat goes down the prop tunnel and the bracket may move the sensor head. Distance from the bolts is critical and may change with heat. You may also get prop movement at speed. If your speedo will read hall effect I would get a hall sensor to plumb into the speedo cable. My VDO gauge can be set to read magnets, hall sensor, prop bolts and reed switches etc and for a while I had a mondeo speedo cable fitted which has a hall sensor in it which I used. Was able to ditch that when I found a type 9 box from a granada with sensor on it.

Nigel

nigel you are brill

your explinations are simple and to the point.

if i had half a brain i could perhaps do that.

but i dont!

so keep on doing what you do.

by the way i have a bad bach ace what should i do

i am taking the liqid scotch stuff at the moment.

the paras arnt doing it.

perhaps co codydramol and scotch will do it?

regards graham

Guest Ian & Carole

Graham

How bad is your "Johann Sobastian Bach" which piece of his music are you listening to ?:D :cray:

Have you thought about trying a cd instead of your old vinyl copy!!!!!!???????? :D :ph34r:

If it's on cd then a new "Hi-fi" system might be in order. :huh: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Don't see how any amount of scotch and co-codamol will help. :rolleyes: :help: :bad: :bad: :drinks:

ps get well soon

Ian J