Zetec

Guest gdc

hi

we are having a problem on dans new lightweight , the engine is 2.0 silvertop zetec ,33k miles but not used for about 6 months.

the ign is megajolt the carbs are bike suziki gsxr 750.

the prob is some times it will run on 2 sometimes on 3 but not on 4 cylinders.

sparks at all plugs , and have tried several maps to try to clear the missing .

my last thought is the hydrolic lifters, could this be the prob where the engine has stood idle.

the engine fires up first time every time. but as said not on all cylinders .

the exhaugst on the 2 prob cylinders gets hot but not anywhere as hot as the ones that are firing properly.

i have sprayed wd40 down the prob carbs and no difference .

so presuming sparks and fuel are there bt not compressing as it should .

how can i test the lifters and if faulty remedy the fault.

regards graham

carbs are working fine

and i am 100% sure i got leads right nigel i do keep doubting myself i must have check them 100 times

i am leaning towards the lifters just dont know the best way to check/sort them

cheers for the help so far

Guest Paul Morgan

If the lifters aren't filling then you would here them taping/knocking when the engine is running because the gap would be too big between them and the cam.

How is the fuel supplied to the carbs ? are the two cylinders that aren't firing furthest away from the fuel inlet, if so there could be a blockage in the fuel line betwen the carbs or not enough pressure to feed all 4 so only the first 2 are getting fuel.

Paul

The silvertop engines are notorious for this. Apparently if you didn't rev them above 5k regularly then the lifters would pack up as well.

I agree with Nigel - you need to fill up with the specific 5/30 oil, which is also available in Halfords specifically for the zetec engine, and run it until the problem goes, which it probably will.

Good luck

Andy

hi thanks for the replys, we are working together to sort the prob.

re the 5/30 ?do we run it till the lifters fill and then drain it and replace with a thicker oil ,or continue after the prob is resolved ,if indeed this is the prob .

boggs did the carbs and invoiced for a strip and clean and to replace 1 diaphram.

if they did there job then a set of 5k mile carbs shouldnt be at fault .

re the cylinders not firing , they are 1 and 4 ,these are the 2 furthest away from the fuel feed but both have fuel in the fuel bowls.

there is no apparant knocking that i would assiociate with tappet noise?

we have a fuel king reg and have tried low and high pressure settings .

one thing comes to mind and that is during checking and sorting the engine out for fitting we fitted a new cam belt, if it had slipped by a tooth could it cause this prob on the 2 cylinders or would it affect all 4.

regards graham

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Hi Graham, If you'r using the wasted spark coil pack and the missfire is on numbers 1 & 4 they share the same coil so it may well be the coil pack,I have had the same problem with a mondeo and 2 focus,

Hope this helps

Danny

Hi Graham, If you'r using the wasted spark coil pack and the missfire is on numbers 1 & 4 they share the same coil so it may well be the coil pack,I have had the same problem with a mondeo and 2 focus,

Hope this helps

Danny

hi danny

we have now tried 2 coil packs, no difference.

regards graham

Guest chris brown
re the 5/30 ?do we run it till the lifters fill and then drain it and replace with a thicker oil ,or continue after the prob is resolved ,if indeed this is the prob .

regards graham

Hi Graham Never run a silver top on anything other than 5-30 there has been more wrecked by using thicker oil than by anything else. This was the weakest point with the engine, people think because it is getting old and may be using a drop of oil they should use 15-40 or similar - bad move - all it does is gum up the lifters and cause the valves to stick. I have done several head jobs over the years because of this.

Assuming the followers are stuck closed, go salvage a set of hydraulic followers from the scrap yard, and leave them sitting in petrol or a powerful solvent for a while

-Best warm the lifters up in the oven , then plonk them into some solvent, so as they cool they suck in the solvent and help loosen the internals.. :D

Means swapping them over, taking the cams out and redoing your syncro belt. :(

If its not, maybe your VR timing sensor is wonky, sometimes working sometimes not.. check all the EARTHing connectors.

Guest salty_monk

Heard of loads with these problem, people using the wrong grade oil.

Use a flushing oil then change & put the 5-30w in... you will likely see immediate fix if you are lucky.

Dan :)