Linux

stevedohc2b

Guest RichardO

I've been using Redhat Linux for a few years now, I'm just deciding whether to upgrade to the latest version (released on Thursday) or stay with what I've got for the time being.

It has come on a long way since I first started messing with it 5 or 6 years ago.

Applications can be found to do nearly everything I want and there is always the Windows emulator for when I need to use Windows applications (currently only some GPS software)..

I only really use MS Windows for games.

Rich...

What do people know about Linux?

I have down loaded Knoppix and have Booted from the disc and using it to type this now in Ice weasel web browser.

Stephen

My machine is dual boot WinXP and mandrake, I am a big fan, it makes so much sense to go open source on so many levels. If it wasn't for software I have to use with work I wouldn't bother with windows at all.

Yeah ubuntu is cool, i use Kubuntu though which uses a different display (KDE) to ubuntu, which is more like windows. I also have it dual boot on my laptop with xp. There are loads of useful free stuff in linux that you don't get in windows. Open Office which comes bundled with most linux distros is pretty good and you won't notice much difference to word excel etc as they almost look identical, don't know how they get away with it :)

Ubuntu and Kubuntu seem to be one of the best to get into it as they have good support and are pretty simple to start using.

It is certainly useful to keep a live boot disc anyway as if windows goes wrong you can load linux up and get to your files (this is why i started using linux)

HTH

Ive been using just Xandros for a few years. I chose it because of its ease of installation. Its very reliable and quick to respond to your clicks. The computer does not get upset if you pull the plug - not that I do. But suppose you had a power cut, the computer would jsut bootup as normal. I can't install Corel software and doubt anyone can. It nets works with a Windows computer no problem at all - even for me, who does not know much about it.

Good luck - you may not need too much of it though, NAt

Guest ScotMac

Linux is based on Unix (though the kernel is strictly a Linus invention).

I am a software engineer. I learned O/S architecture on Unix, have used *and* coded every form of Unix you could possibly imagine, have always been a big proponent of Unix's, and feel the a community based development effort (aka, free software) has a lot to be said for it. In fact, i used to use Unix exclusively in my day-to-day activities, but I *now* use WinXP and RedHat Linux.

MS Windows has come a long way. It's stability is now comparable to Linux (though not as good as other Unix's). That, combined w/ the fact that the world is very much a Windows world and the EXTREME myriad of software available for Windows via BitTorrent, makes Windows a very desirable platform, IMO. Not for development, mind you (Unix is still king for software dev), but as a desktop platform.

I've switched to Ubuntu at home, and use it for everything now (no longer us XP). I think it's great. It look a bit of setting up, but that was mostly to get it exactly how I wanted it.

There's a really good community for ubuntu - and any questions posted on there usually get answered in a few minutes! Also, my dad wants a new computer, so I'm going to build him a ubuntu box too.

I think linux is probably suited to the more 'savvy' user as you do come across things which need fixing. Usually this involves a quick look on the internet and a copy and paste of a few commands. I guess it's like a robin hood builder (linux) v caterham 'builder' (windows)!

Any way, good luck with it...

At work I look after a global network of 600 or so Linux servers (the number is constantly growing). They all run CentOS (Redhat with the trademark removed) except the one last one on Redhat 8. My work desktop runs CentOS, as does half of the office.

At home my old laptop ran Fedora, all my other machines at home run Linux of one form or another. My new laptop still has Windows on it, but only because I haven't had time to install Fedora 8 yet.

Except for my new laptop I haven't used Windows at home for 3 years. Except for the odd training course I haven't used Windows at work since I changed jobs last February.

So what happens to all the Windows Xp users who wish to upgrade to a new PC and find it's only possible to buy them pre-installed with Vista? Is Xp still available? I'm worried my applications and old printers/scanners won't work.

Guest Ad_W2001

Red7, most (95%) of your programs will still run on Vista if you do decide to upgrade, i made the change to Vista a year ago and I must say its a lot nicer than XP and experienced no software problems, but the spec of the pc does need to be up to the job. Ive seen a lot of companies offering a budget system (£300 or so) with vista premium, but i'd steer clear of these as the premium version (with all the visual upgrades, ie Aero) needs a lot of power to run smoothly. With regards to your printer, as long as its USB, you should be fine. Dont expect to find a parallel port on every computer from now on, tho most do seem to still. If you love XP still, it is available, but its becoming less common as a pre-install, you could just buy a windows XP OS and reformat your new comp when u get it....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScotMac
So what happens to all the Windows Xp users who wish to upgrade to a new PC and find it's only possible to buy them pre-installed with Vista? Is Xp still available? I'm worried my applications and old printers/scanners won't work.

Buy the new machine, and install XP on it. And if u can't find ur old disc, i'm sure someone on here has one.

I haven't seen many features of Vista that make the upgrade desirable, however the opposite can be said (seen reasons NOT to upgrade).