First Time Buyer!

Guest Dan Yeates

Guest Dan Yeates

Hi,

I am new here, but have been a member on Piston Heads and the Vauxhall VX220 forums for a while. I used to rebuild accident damaged VX220's and have owned a few. Now I am saving, I want something fun, but that isn't going to cost the earth, something I can run alongside an everyday car - the VX220 wasn't too practical as an only car.

Anyway, I have found a Robin Hood which I love! It's a 2B with a 2 litre Pinto. Twin 45 dellorto carbs, head work etc... Looks really nice and I plan to look at it this weekend.

Can someone help me out with what to look out for. I have never even been in one before!! I have driven Lotus Exiges and Formula Renaults etc.

Any help with what to look for or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank.s

Guest chris brown

The one thing I would say Dan is don’t go for one with sliding pillar front suspension unless you get it cheap as the conversion to wishbone costs around £700 and is something you would want to do very soon after purchase. Otherwise it all goes down to build quality and personal preferences as there is no 2B's the same.

PS welcome to the site

It's a sliding pillar and is the less popular of the second hand choices.

The sliding pillar uses fixed bottom and top mounts for the sliding front suspension (like a morgan) made to look like wishbones.

I would advise you go and look at the different variety of 2b's at a show or club meet and talk to the owners direct before committing to buy.

Guest craig030774

i have just stripped the front end of mine to strenghen the cycle wing brackets and had a good look at the pillar all okay but idid make a spacer for the top bearing to spread the load as the rhe way was crude to say the least

it was just a peice of pipe that eventually broke the bearing

but obviously not as desirable as the wishbones which have also had their issues

btw looks a decent build

craig

Guest chris brown

As Craig says it looks like a decent build except for the dash and I don’t know what has gone wrong with the hood hoops as they look very strange. Also if you have contacted him what is the reason for having the front wings and half of the brackets off?

Guest fozzy2007

is it not illegal to drive a car with open wheels?? i am sure it has to have the cycle wings or gul wings over the wheels to be road legal!!! you can fail an mot on al other cars if you tyre just sticks out beyond the wings so i assume this is a failure too!

Sliding Pillars - everyone seems to have it in for them. I did at one point, but changing the weak springs as supplied with mine (which look the same as the one for sale, has made a huge difference. I put 8 inch 300lb springs on the front pillars and this made a huge difference and now sticks to corners like glue, rather than bouncing around like it used to do, so for £40-50 a sliding pillar can be transformed handling wise if you don't want to shell out £700 for wishbones.

Si

Guest salty_monk

It will still be a harsh ride compared to the wishbones but the handling on a sliding pillar is not that bad... I got some decent track times at Barkston with mine.

You probably will want to convert it.

Considering it has the weather gear, gauges & a 2.1 pinto it's not a bad price, if you could get it a few hundred cheaper then it would be a reasonable buy.

One thing worth a mention is that the cars using the new RH conversion actually look to have a better setup on the wishbones than the purpose built wishbone 2b.... It would probably be a better car.

That £700 includes new coilovers all round I think... or maybe that is the fitted cost front only, I'm not sure. Someone will be able to clarify.

Take your time, the market is a little flat at the moment so another one will come along if you're not sure. This one is not a remarkable deal by a long shot but it doesn't seem too bad.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...