New Everyday Car

Guest elwe

Last weekend I picked up my new everyday boring car:

gtm1.jpg

It weighs in at around 695kg and has a 1.8 litre K series VVC engine that has had the VVC replaced with some serious cams. It has direct to head throttle bodies and DTA engine management. That spec is good for just over 200bhp, though I have no idea how much it is chucking out. It doesn't have much below 4,000rpm due to the cams. Then it screams to 7,000 rpm so quickly the shift light comes on at 5,250 rpm to give you a chance to shift up before the rev limiter!

I drove it to work every day this week and arrived with a heart rate of about 120bpm. Not bad for an everyday boring car!

• 3 weeks later...

My heart certainly got a good workout on the way to work this morning. I don't think I will be taking this Libra to Le Mans next year...

7B4A0014.jpg

Well I had a little spin. The backend stepped out and I over corrected spinning the other way. I ended up facing the wrong way on a section of cross hatching next to the central reservation on the A3290.

I realised that I wasn't going to be able to turn round safely so I called the police to come and stop the traffic. I was also on a bridge so I had to wait in the car. After 5-10 minutes I heard sirens so I looked up, just in time to see a 4x4 coming right for me, sideways!

I braced for impact, having time to think "this is going to hurt". The 4x4 hit and went straight up the bonnet, over the roof and ended up on its side behind me. It had spun at the same point I did and while it hit me nose in to the central reservation it spun another 180 as it went over my roof and landed facing the other way.

30 seconds after it hit the police turned up. Just in time to call the fire brigade to free the driver of the 4x4 from her vehicle and an ambulance to deal with the injurys.

I took this photo from the fire engine:

7B4A0016.jpg

The paramedics took a look at me and decided I should go to hospital for an X-ray. 4 hours and 14 Xrays later the only part of me that isn't glowing is my left leg. All the X-rays were clear, except my right wrist which the doctors couldn't tell if it is broken or not. So I have it in a split for 10 days and then more X-rays.

The car looks like a write off to me. The underside of the 4x4 gouged two cuts in the top of the monocoque which don't look repairable.

Guest Quarks7

JESUS!!!

I'd say you had a very lucky escape mate. I'm sure your gutted but when the insurance cheque arrives at least you'll be able to WALK to the bank to pay it in! You could have been wheeling yourself there in a chair!

Guest craig030774

blimey liked the look of those gtm's glad you are ok good job you were not in the hood

see a west field thing get hit and the chassis just buckled one reason why i went for the 2b :o

Hi Tim.

How are you feeling today ? Sore ?

So glad to hear you are ok, thats the main thing.

I echo the others in saying you were sooooo lucky to escape major injury.

By coincidence I nagged all my heirs to take extra care yesterday.........it is notoriously a bad time for RTA's. I once wrote one off on Dec 5th too.

See you soon

Guest erichetherington

Tim,

Glad you're OK. I had a look at your car after our chat at Taunton and it really looked nice, I once (long time ago before children etc.) reshelled a Midas that had been rolled and only later found out that some-one got holed of the old shell and rebuilt it! So it may be possible if you want or need all the aggro involved.

Glad you are OK. See you in Le Mans

Eric