Shortened Handbrake Cable

Guest scottie686

Guest scottie686

Morning everyone!!

I have a little conundrum which has been stumping me for a while. When speaking with Richard at GBS he said that I would have to shorten my handbrake. ‘Just need to remove the cable, cut down the metal shroud and cut the cable to length and re-attach’.

No problem I though, but did query how to re-attach the cable hook which is soldered / welded onto the cable. Richard gave a couple of suggestions, but I wanted to post a thread and put it to the floor!!

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to either re-secure the hook/latch (which still has about 3” of cable still coming out of it, or, any new ideas of attaching a hook/latch on the end on my shortened cable which will be strong enough to grip the cable and not pull through and attach to the rear callipers?

Regards,

Scott

Guest mastarforth

I fitted mine and cut it on one side, then I used a small nit threaded over the end, and splayed the individual wires in all directions. I then droopped a load of solder onto the ends. Seemss to be strong enough and holds well

Guest chris brown

You say you have hook/latch so I presume you have discs on the back so removing it is IMHO a no no. I would do as others have said cut it in the middle. Pass the cut ends though the quadrant and clamp them together using two clamps on each side. Mine was SVA'd using this method and is still good 5 years and 25k miles later

SVA says that you can use a flat thick load spreading plate about 40mm square however if your seat is only bolted throught the stainless floor with 4 flat washers at the corners then i would think that you will get a fair amount of flexing.

Guest MJThewlis

No issue at SVA without the front angle across the front of seat mounts.

The way I've done it is with fibreglass seats mounted on 4mm alluminium plates which run full length of the seat inside the car (which gives plenty of rigidity) and only spreading washers underneath. My thinking is the weight of seat and occupant is downwards and if the worst came to the worst the mounts would only support the minimal weight of the seat as I would be hung from the belts!!!!

Cheers, M.