Seat Belt Top Mounts

Joel

What's the latest thinking on the top seatbelt mounts on a 2B? - I know I got away with having the tubes welded to the back of the chassis member at SVA in 2003, but there was talk of them having to be secured through the chassis member to meet updated SVA requirements.

I just wondered if that was still the case - has anyone got an older 2B through SVA recently without the modified seat belt mounts?

Guest craig030774

got through mine in 05 with a 99 2b that had a single tube to mount the seatbelt to

i welded a nut on the bottom and used a m12 bolt to secure bracket that came with the belts

craig

Guest chris brown
What's the latest thinking on the top seatbelt mounts on a 2B? - I know I got away with having the tubes welded to the back of the chassis member at SVA in 2003, but there was talk of them having to be secured through the chassis member to meet updated SVA requirements.

I just wondered if that was still the case - has anyone got an older 2B through SVA recently without the modified seat belt mounts?

It seems to have gone very quite on seatbelts front for SVA so I’m guessing that the tubes welded to the back of the square section tube is getting through OK

yeah mine passed in june this year with the tubes welded to the back, although i had to cover the boot and up over the seatbelt mountings as they were "sharp". Because there is a bulkhead between the cockpit and boot the boot is technically external if left open so is subject to the external rules hence the failureon the bolts and nuts of the seat belt. Well thats what avonmouth failed me on, once it was covered it wasn't a problem.

Tubes welded to the back of the chassis square beam should be fine. One of the examples in the SVA manual shows that welded on tubes are fine so long as they are long enough and welded on both sides, along their entire length.

Mine was one of those that the examiners failed in that configuration in 2003, I had to cut and remount them through the square tubes. But if they are now being passed..........go for it.

Guest Ian & Carole

Mine failed @ Beverley in 2003.

I even tried the appeal approach.

The tester rang VOSA in Wales who told him to fail it!

End of story.

Like John says though many have passed since!

Ian J

You will find lots of previous discussions on here about this very topic, but basically, what would you rather have............. a seat belt that will save your life, or one that has been questioned before and even if it passes at your sva, would you trust it ??

Remember, as far as I know, neither of these configurations has been tested in a crash dummy test.

I can tell you that when I cut my welded mounts off the cross tube, it came away very easily.

Now they are mounted through the tubes, I know they are stronger, cos even if the welds are not top notch, any pulling forces will act into the cross tube, instead of in a direction that shears off the mounting.

To the guy with a round cross tube, I would say your situation is worse still, as the contact area is smaller. i don't know of any of these type that have passed.

When my son rolled his Peugeot in a muddy field, the seat belt mountings came away like butter, and thats a production car !

Do what you believe is safest for you and your passenger, not what gets you a easy passage through sva.

Guest Petemate

MANY moons ago when I was building mine, there was talk of failures with mounts welded to the back of the tubes. So off came mine, from the round cross bar (early 2b) and believe me they came off easy. With each of the (2) mounts, once I'd ground through one side of the welding, I just got hold of them with a pair of gland nut pliers and twisted them off. Frightening. So through the cross member went two holes and the mounts were then TIG welded in. Bootiful job. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Pete