Fitting Rear Polybushes..

Guest Takumi

Hi all,

I'm considering changing the rear bushes, after a mot close shave.. and to help tighten it all up.

The wishbone bushes look simple enough, but what about the main beam mounting bushes, the big things on each side.. how do you change those... cut them out and press in the polyurethane ones..?

tak?:s

I expect you have an additional bolt through the subframe just behind the bush. This and the lack of rubber mount on the diff mean that the rear end is hard mounted. (the diff and big tube that is, the arms obviously aren't!)

You can do away with the big mounts, drill some holes in the rubber mounts and then knock them out with a hammer (I used a sledge hammer, they exited eventually, at speed!). You can then weld a plate over the hole and put a bolt through it to the chassis.

Guest 2b_pablo

I fitted poly ones to mine, took the beam to a local engineering place who pressed out the old ones and pressed in the new ones for a fiver.

my days of cutting/hammering/burning out bushes is long over!

no other bolt in the subframe btw on my car anyway.

hehe:)

I've just bought some polybushes for the rear wishbone arms (not the beam mounting..yet..) a complete set for £15+pp, not too bad.. the worst bit I'm sure is the fitting..

-tak :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gona give the rear bushes a go this Fri>Through the weekend..

I'm gona whip the seats out, unbolt the prop flange and unbolt the rear diff mounting, disconnect the brake union, and unbolt the sub-frame.. leaving the loosened handbrake cable attached, drop the whole thing down and work on the thing under the car..while its jacked up to the sky..

Might enlist a friends help (for encouragement..) if all goes well, might even look at the fitting of the rear coilovers :S

I'm gona take pics (hopefully if all goes well and I don't get fedup.!!!!) and write up a short article..

wish me luck..! :S

Guest 2b_pablo
I'm gona give the rear bushes a go this Fri>Through the weekend..

I'm gona whip the seats out, unbolt the prop flange and unbolt the rear diff mounting, disconnect the brake union, and unbolt the sub-frame.. leaving the loosened handbrake cable attached, drop the whole thing down and work on the thing under the car..while its jacked up to the sky..

Might enlist a friends help (for encouragement..) if all goes well, might even look at the fitting of the rear coilovers :S

I'm gona take pics (hopefully if all goes well and I don't get fedup.!!!!) and write up a short article..

wish me luck..! :S

you might find it difficult to remove the old bushes while the beam is on the floor. Also I found it very hard to get the diff back up into its cradle again. lots of swearing and jacking and finally got it in. then had to wrestle some more to get the long bolts through.

but looks like you are for leaving the diff in place - good call

you might find it difficult to remove the old bushes while the beam is on the floor. Also I found it very hard to get the diff back up into its cradle again. lots of swearing and jacking and finally got it in. then had to wrestle some more to get the long bolts through.

but looks like you are for leaving the diff in place - good call

I've given up already..

After an initial feasability study, I have come to realise the wishbone bolts (outer) are bolted through the chassis flange, so the bolt withracts inwards, which is now blocked by the s/s seat back panel, which is all rivetted inplace..! :spiteful:

Instead I'm installing rear coilovers, which in comparison is much easier.. :)

Guest 2b_pablo
I've given up already..

After an initial feasability study, I have come to realise the wishbone bolts (outer) are bolted through the chassis flange, so the bolt withracts inwards, which is now blocked by the s/s seat back panel, which is all rivetted inplace..! :spiteful:

LOL, saved yourself a load of bother!

cut the old bolts out if youre keen

Guest chris brown
I have come to realise the wishbone bolts (outer) are bolted through the chassis flange, so the bolt withracts inwards, which is now blocked by the s/s seat back panel, which is all rivetted inplace..! :spiteful:

If I remember correctly Richard did say on the video that the outer bolts had to be turned so as they could be removed at a later date by just cutting a mouse holes in the back panel. At least they were turned round when you built it otherwise they would have to be cut (a task I don’t envy anyone undertaking) if they had been left as fitted to the Sierra.

Guest mizurage135
I've given up already..

Did you have big springs and rear shocks on before you changed to coilovers? removed old rear beam changed to new with lsd now ready to fit new coilovers supplied by GBS. What is th distance to set between the bottom of trailing arm to the top of spring support thanks mike

Did you have big springs and rear shocks on before you changed to coilovers? removed old rear beam changed to new with lsd now ready to fit new coilovers supplied by GBS. What is th distance to set between the bottom of trailing arm to the top of spring support thanks mike

Will have a measure 2moro for you.