Which Bike Carbs?

Guest adame

Have an 1800 cc Pinto (I know it's a rubbish model but its all I can afford) which currently has a peice of crap pierburg carb on it.

I want to swap out the rubbish pierburg carb and replace it with a set of bike carbs (in a hope to acheive at least some power!)

I see alot on ebay and it's tough to say which ones to go for.

Also have seen that some ppl have had issues with them being Thorttle boddies and not carbs.

-Can anyone tell me which bike carbs/from what bike are the best ones to go for? (SUZUKI GSXR600 SRAD 96/97 CARBS ?? or '98 Suzuki Bandit 1200 ??)

any usefull information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ad the amature.

Hiya.

Youre on the right lines junking the Pierburg, but

frankly youre spending more money & effort than the standard 1.8 is worth.

Individual throttle barrels (bike carbs, Webers, or Dellortoes)

are only really of use with a 2.0 engine, a modded head, and a hot cam.

Find a 32/36 DGV or DGAV, or better still a 38DGAS (scarcer than Rocking horse poo) with its own manifold.

The 32/36 & manifold should be between £20 & £50, a DGAS up to £100 depending on condition & a straight bolt on.

Theres one on Ebay right now

HTH Bob

I have nearly finished fitting bike carbs on my 2.0L Pinto. I will more than likely be selling a 38 DGAS in a month or so. It's near new condition, on it's own manifold with throttle linkage.

Bike carb idea is on hold for the moment. I had a guy come into my work who was building a trike and happened to mention that he had a set of twin 40 webers sitting on the shelf in his workshop. After a little haggling we settled on £140! including manifold linkages and air filters! cool! Gunna re build the this weekend and see what happens.

-Ad

Guest salty_monk

Without a highlift Cam and a bit of head work you're going to throwing away a lot of money in petrol for not much gain!

I would move them on for a profit & get a DGAS.

One of the biggest probs with the 40's is you can't use the Vac advance so MPG drops drastically.

You can expect around 16-18MPG on average with about 10mpg if you really thrash it.

Dan :)