Bit Of A Problem....

Guest Snoopy

Guest Snoopy

Can anyone help...

Our front door 5 leaver mortice lock is jamed in locked position and key has broken in lock.

Does anyone know how to open lock, or is my only option to call a locksmith <_<

[put a drill through the barrel and remove and fit a new lock , cost about£30.

#

call locksmith cost for same job anything from a £90 call out to £350 for a rip off

regards graham

Guest allenr03

Is it closed? I'm guessing so otherwise you would just take it out!!

I reckon it'll be a lock smith job, you can't really drill the levers and the locks themsleves are usually protected against drilling anyway. The bolt will have rollers in it rendering a hacksaw useless.

Guest allenr03

You could cut the frame out where the bolt goes - easier and neater to repair than the door! You can buy stel reinforcing bars that are decorative for the lock side of frames so you wouldn't lose out on strength. A large diameter flat wood bit would do the job for you. Replacing the timber afterwards is straightforward and as I said the frame bars are very good.

Guest vacinc

1 remove the outside door handle.

2 grab the barrel with a set of vice grips.

3 lever left to right a few times.

4 when the barrel snaps,( there stainless steel, they break very easly ) open door with flat head screwdriver,

start to finnish 3min"s . works on ALL pvc doors, ps you can replace the barrel for £10. or i"d think you would be better getting a stronger barrel £35, as you cannot break these with vice grips ?

Chain drill through the door frame into the metal lock mortice adjacent to the lock bolt - use something like say 5mm. Chisel out remaining wood and use a hacksaw blade (or jigsaw if you can get in) to remove any remaining lock mortice until you can get the door to open - work carefully and remove only what you need to in order to open the door. Then remove the lock mortice in the usual manner - tidy up the damaged frame, cut a piece of scrap timber to fill in the damage, glue and screw it in position and fit a new lock mortice and lock to the door.

I used this technique on my front door when the lock jammed - worked a treat and took about an hour start to finish.

Don't bother trying to cut or drill the lock, you'l be there for ages and probably damage the door. Why damage a perfectly good wooden door - go for the frame instead, it easier and cheaper to repair if you take a bit of time with your drilling.

Guest Snoopy

Thanks for help guys..

Did not fancy drilling into door frame as is a big combination door frame / window.

I bit the bullet and phone a locksmith... £50 quid job done inc new 5 lever lock.

The scary bit is that it took him 5 mins to get in. No drilling and no damage to frame.