Loom Fixing

Guest wicksy37

Guest wicksy37

Hi All

I am now back working on the hood after a 2 year break due to family health problems. After just 2 days i have all the electrics working after reading previous posts for help.

Just one quick question, when fixing the loom with nylon p-clips, do you need a bit of freeplay between loom and clip or does this have to be tight fitting ie no movement of loom.

Hope this makes sense.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Rgds Paul :D :D

Hi Paul,

My preference would be snug tight. I'd assume that there would be no chance of chafing then. I presume you've already wrapped up the wires with loom tape? I couldn't see Mr SVA man getting too upset if they were a bit slack within the clip though. I' don't know what the manual actually states, but the essence is to make sure that all cabling is secure. I think 20cm spacing of clips is a minimum.

Guest wicksy37

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. The loom is all wrapped ready to secure, is it better to use metal clips with rubber inserts or are the nylon ones good enough to use.

Rgds Paul :D

inside the car it is ok to tape the loom where appropriate. It says in the SVA manual that basically if production cars use it then it is ok and most production cars ive seen tape wires along the floor when going to the back. i used cable ties around the tubes to secure my loom which passed without a problem in july 07 so nylon p clips wont be a problem. I used nylon p clips to hold my brake lines.

just remember to use extra protection on corners and through panels etc.

hth