Rover 2ltr Dohc - Brass Vacuum Connector

Guest jwts

Hi,

The brass vacuum connector that screws into the inlet/injection manifold is missing from my Rover 2ltr Super spec kit. This what it looks like:

post-2794-1201697769_thumb.jpg

Can someone give me a technical description including the thread size, etc, so I can order one from my local motor factors? They have a reasonable range of similar items in stock but none of them fit.

Alternatively - in a Rover car this fitting was a banjo type and I have the banjo bit but not the central drilled bolt that bolts it to the car so another option woud be to get one of those but again what do I need to ask for? Would the original Rover part number be any use to me - if so does anybody know what it is?

Thanks for any info,

John.

The Rover banjo bolt part number is 2A715 - which means it's been around for a while. You won't want to be buying a new one as they're about £18!!! The sealing washers are AED172 at about £1-50 each.

As an alternative, the same part is used on Rover 800 brake servo, most Rover 200 and 400 brake servos (except those with ABS), on Mini and Metro Brake servo. Suprisingly it also seems to be used on the mini for the oil pressure pipe that goes from the oil filter housing where it bolts to the engine block, so there shouldn't be a shortage of suitable parts in the scrapyard.

Or else buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-METRO-TURBO-OIL...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll try and do a bit more digging and find some thread sizes.

...Pre 1990 minis that is.

Bit cheaper here http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=33787

Most likely to be a UNF thread as it's a banjo fitting so the adaptor shown in your photo must be a tapered thread as I can't se a washer sealing the face against the manifold - could well be something like an air line fitting (as in compressor not BA)

hi

unf is a parallel thread so the one on JWTs original post would have to be a tapered

thread in order to seal ( BSPT). It looks identical to the tail fitting that connects the air supply to

pneumatic hand tools. but may be a "bas***d auto thread"

swan

Most likely to be a UNF thread as it's a banjo fitting so the adaptor shown in your photo must be a tapered thread as I can't se a washer sealing the face against the manifold - could well be something like an air line fitting (as in compressor not BA)

Richy,

Many thanks for going to the trouble to dig out these links for me. I'll follow them up and let you know what happens.

:good:

John.

Richy,

I bought the bolt on eBay and it fits!! Many thanks for the pointer, it saved me time and money. :D

Regards,

John.