Will A Ford Cvh Engine Work\fit In A Lightweight?

Guest shanusanus

Guest shanusanus

Hi all - I need advice quick - I have put my Lightweight up on eBay mainly due to not having time and finding it hard to get a suitable donar car.

Anyway as soon as I put her on eBay I get offered a Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH engine 1988 model. I'm thinking I'll keep the lightweight now and go for this car but I want to make sure that the 1.8 CVH engine will be suitable for the Lightweight. I know its hould be a PINTO engine but man its hard to get those these days :)

SO - will a CVH 1.8 with all the gearbox etc be a good fit for the Lightweight??

HELP!!

Well done on finding a donor car. The gearbox will probably be a type 9 and perfect, diff is fine and all the bits like steering column, hubs rear suspension,etc are fine. All these bits are the same wether the donor comes with a pinto or CVH.

1.8 CVH will fit if you must but is a poor engine, tend to get smokey, fairly gutless and no tuning potential. However any pre sigma/duratec ford engine will bolt straight on to the gearbox. Pinto is popular but zetec and crossflow are contenders. An 1800 zetec on bike carbs would go very well I think or the classic tuned crossflow would also suit the car well. With a new bellhousing the sigma and duratec engines will fit. I would be very surprised if one of the board/club members doesn't have a spare pinto engine they will sell you!

Your much better off now you have the donor. You can build 95% of the car while you decide what engine you would like to put in.

Nigel

Guest shanusanus
Well done on finding a donor car. The gearbox will probably be a type 9 and perfect, diff is fine and all the bits like steering column, hubs rear suspension,etc are fine. All these bits are the same wether the donor comes with a pinto or CVH.

1.8 CVH will fit if you must but is a poor engine, tend to get smokey, fairly gutless and no tuning potential. However any pre sigma/duratec ford engine will bolt straight on to the gearbox. Pinto is popular but zetec and crossflow are contenders. An 1800 zetec on bike carbs would go very well I think or the classic tuned crossflow would also suit the car well. With a new bellhousing the sigma and duratec engines will fit.

Your much better off now you have the donor. You can build 95% of the car while you decide what engine you would like to put in.

Nigel

Cool so if I'm happy with the engine and its characteristics then yes the engine, geabox and basically all the car will all go into the lightweight yes?

If its a yes then damn I having that car :) YIPPEE

Yes, as far as I know a 88 1.8cvh should come with a type 9 box and it will all go in fine. (MT75 box came in right at the end of 88 according to Burtons. Don't know if it would be too big to get down the tunnel of a lightweight.) Graham is well up on the lightweight and will be along in a moment to confirm.

I know that type 9 boxes and pinto engines turn up in my local scrappy quite often (Plymouth).

Nigel

[quote I know that type 9 boxes and pinto engines turn up in my local scrappy quite often (Plymouth).

Also look out for members changing from Pinto to Zetec. A lot of these members have good engines to sell.

Put a request in the wanted section.

Guest chris brown
Cool so if I'm happy with the engine and its characteristics then yes the engine, geabox and basically all the car will all go into the lightweight yes?

If its a yes then damn I having that car :) YIPPEE

Go for it but don’t fit the 1.8 CVH. (As Nigel says a very poor engine) Pintos are still readily available or as Nigel says go for Zetec (pre 95 unless you want to fit a cat). But whatever engine you decide on get it registered on the donors V5 so as to ensure an age related plate

Nothing wrong with the 1.8 CVH. It works well in a Sierra, and the lightweight is just over half the weight of the Sierra.

It can be tuned, but the exhaust does come out the opposite side. If the CVH in the donor is good, put it in, as you will have all the parts to fit. Later if you want to change to the pinto it is a very easy swop.

john

Guest ScotMac
Nothing wrong with the 1.8 CVH. It works well in a Sierra, and the lightweight is just over half the weight of the Sierra.

It can be tuned, but the exhaust does come out the opposite side. If the CVH in the donor is good, put it in, as you will have all the parts to fit. Later if you want to change to the pinto it is a very easy swop.

Hmmmm....maybe your l/w is half the weight of a Sierra w/ a CVH in it!! :D

I would say that the l/w's range from a third to half the weight of a sierra. I am still going for the goal of 900-1000lbs for mine.

Guest shanusanus

YIPPEE

I have my Donar car now - £180 later - its a bloody good runner with smooth gearbox and a great pull on it.

Its a 1.8 CVH engine - I'm very excited :)

Im after an engine crane now and I'll start dismantling prob thsi weekend !!

Shane,

I have an engine crane thats very old and hasn' t been used for a while.A work mate is borrowing it on Wednesday and if it still works you may borrow it after that.I live in Ashford but work at the top of blue bell hill at the kart track so local to you if you in Rochester.I will let you know how he gets on on Wednesday.

Andy

Guest craig030774

i had a 1.8 cvh sierra regular oil changes sweet as a nut did 150000 no problem even converted to run on gas for last 50 thou.prob best car had.............. but alas it is now been used as my donor( well never had a v5 so changed v5 to pinto nos. and 2000cc before sva) :D

Guest salty_monk

Isn't the 1.8CVH quite a tall engine? If so it could give sump or bonnet clearance problems....

I agree they were ok in the Sierra, my dad had one in a sapphire for a few years. Good car. Not so good for tuning potential though & barely more powerful than a 1.6 Pinto (quite often see those being given away...) I believe the 1.8 is 90bhp in stock form.

If you really want a CVH the 1.6 has a lot more tuning potential than the 1.8 due to the XR2 however I don't know if some bits would work on the bigger engine. The CVH replaced the pinto mainly for emissions reasons.

Dan :)