Starting Trouble

Guest tomottewell

Guest tomottewell

hello, i'm having a lot of troubles getting my 2l pinto running. its got the carb with the big ecu and the stepper motor. not to good with electrics is there any easy way to get goin? would it be easyer to change carbs? are those ones any good?

thanks tom

Guest Alan_builder
hello, i'm having a lot of troubles getting my 2l pinto running. its got the carb with the big ecu and the stepper motor. not to good with electrics is there any easy way to get goin? would it be easyer to change carbs? are those ones any good?

thanks tom

This won't help much.

Injection start great! Many of the carbed pinto's seem to have trouble starting even as original Fords.

You have to determine if it is petrol or spark causing the problem, just hope it's not both!

If after trying to start you take a plug out are the plugs wet? Too much petrol / flooding.- carb problem or too long with no spark so dont crank for too long just normal to start the average car.

If you crank the car for too long the plugs should be wet so if they are dry - carb problem.

I think some of the carbs had an electric preheater, is it a water heated carb?

If you have an old style inline strobe timing light dose it flash and is it bright? Taking a plug out and loking for the spark may not tell you all as the dynamics change under compression.

I do assune you have checked plug gaps etc.

The Sierra has a resistor is series with the coil to help startong this is reduced in value so you get a fatter spark, remove it entirely and the coil will burn out. This system can cause you problems.

Is the carb the original one for your engine and Ford loom? Is the coil the correct one for this loom?

We ned a bit more info to help much further.

I :wub: my :rhsc: