New Cam

Guest keith12

Guest keith12

Hi i am looking for camshaft for my standard 2ltr sohc pinto as the one fitted in my recon with only 1300 miles done and with the warranty run out last November is rattling like mad.

I need a better quality one but which will not break the bank as i am on the brink of calling it a day and cutting my losses and getting rid of the car as its just seems to be one thing after another. :(

Sounds like your engine builder did not set up the cam properly in the first place, the Pinto is renowned for being very suseptable to camshaft geometry changes and needs to be set up properly from the start.

If the head has been refurbished and the valve seats recut then the valve tip will stick up a little more as the valve head is recessed in the head more. The cam follower will now not be level to the cam lobe and can cause excessive cam lobe wear or follower wear.

Its probably worth getting a cam kit with springs and followers so get a 285 as a performance upgrade and follow the fitting instruction closely, you will benefit from a vernier pully at the same time.

With this lot on your car i think the majic will return

Guest keith12

Its probably worth getting a cam kit with springs and followers so get a 285 as a performance upgrade and follow the fitting instruction closely, you will benefit from a vernier pully at the same time.

Sounds expensive unless you know anywhere cheap for the kit. My recon cost £600 so i don't, want to spend to much, as i have already spent hundreds on other upgrades in a short period of time owning the car.

Guest chris brown
Sounds expensive unless you know anywhere cheap for the kit. My recon cost £600 so i don't, want to spend to much, as i have already spent hundreds on other upgrades in a short period of time owning the car.

Sorry Keith but don’t stint and just go for a cam, regardless of what cam you go for get a full kit as your followers will be marked and don’t forget to run it in correctly or you will be changing it again in a couple of thousand miles.

Keith, try your local motor factors. Replacement camkits are not too dear, you should get one under a hundred pounds, cheaper if you can get it trade ( like I did ).

Be sure to get one that is a new manufactured cam, and avoid buying a reground one.....you can't be certain whether the hardening has been re-done to original spec.

And I would still go back and moan at the place who did your recon, thats unnacceptable.

Maybe they will give you some sort of recompense............enough cash to buy another cam for instance ?

Good luck, don't give up now !!

Guest keith12

My neighbor as been able to source me a full kit with rockers and springs etc for £55 + vat, but i cant see the recon people doing anything as its four months out of warranty and the type of car its in, like insurance companies they always find an excuse not to pay up.

I will just have to do my best in adverse publicity for there product if they do nothing.

Once again thanks for your help and support I am determined to give it another go :D

Guest Ian & Carole

Keith

I would still complain.

Even if it is only by taking the failed cam back to them when you have it out and the new one fitted.

It might be that you are not the only customer of theirs that this has happened to.

Don't forget they only buy the cams in from a supplier and they might just be as upset as you are, you just never know.

Ian J

Guest Bob Rowell
Hi i am looking for camshaft for my standard 2ltr sohc pinto as the one fitted in my recon with only 1300 miles done and with the warranty run out last November is rattling like mad.

I need a better quality one but which will not break the bank as i am on the brink of calling it a day and cutting my losses and getting rid of the car as its just seems to be one thing after another. :(

Keith if you want a standard Ford cam, with rockers, springs, spraybar etc I have one here that's only done 800 miles before I changed it for a Piper set up. Yours for the cost of postage, or collection if you prefer.

Always fit a new spray bar. Cover everything in cam lube. Turn over the engine on the crank pulley nut and check the valve springs have clearance and are not becoming coilbound. Plugs out and with the cam cover off wind the engine over on the starter motor till oil is spraying onto the cam from the bar, all the time squirting oil from your oil can onto the cam lobes. The refit plugs and cam cover and run the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. 2000 rpm gives least cam loading. 20 mins allows the surfaces to work harden.

Nigel

ps. yes this can be a bit messy.

Guest keith12

Thanks for the offer Bob and to everyone's input. I managed to have a chat with the recon engine builder and he seems helpful but would like to know exactly whats wrong before making any decision on what to do.

I have had the tappets looked at and checked also the oil rail running as longboarder suggested, i think the next step is to cover everything in paper and old sheets and turn it over.

The cam on visual inspection as a few scuff marks on the lobe which look as though it loses contact at some point but no real sign of wear, so i am going for that as the problem.

Could that mean that the rocker as failed or something else as i am not an expert and don't have any real knowledge about engines.

Thanks Keith

Guest robinj66

You need to look at what Snapperpaul said. It's echoed in this extract from Kent cams catalogue - seems that Pinto gear is susceptible to wear if not set up correctly. You ought at least to out this to your engine builder and see what his response is.

What you really need to know is what is causing the rattling - ie, where is the wear? (lobes, bearings etc)