Is This The End Of The Sva ?

Guest kleighton

Guest rhetorical-oracle

The last page of this document ECWVTA leaflet.pdf seems to imply that for UK built vehicles the SVA will still exist in some form or other.

From what it seems to state it just means that your vehicle will be fine if you have it SVA tested and register it in the UK, but if you then want to export the car and register it abroard you may have to undergo a similar type of national test in the country you want to register it in, as it won't be covered by the Europe wide accepted ECWVTA scheme.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest timswait

This certainly looks worrying, we really don't want to be pulled into line with countries like Germany and the Netherlands where kit cars are practically impossible. I was speaking to a Dutch guy with a Cobra. His was built on an original chassis, so he was OK, but he said he knew of people that had SVA'd and registered their car in the UK and then imported them to Holland and re-registered there.

Guest timswait

Although, after reading that document it doesn't seem so bad. Looking at the last page:

In addition, a number of national

manufacturers do not produce

sufficient volumes of vehicles to

make it cost effective to adopt

ECWVTA if it were the only option.

The Government has therefore

agreed in principle that there

should be national schemes for

small series and individual vehicle

approval. The table opposite

shows how the schemes available

will change in the next few years.

And the table summarising the hanges does specifically still include Single Vehicle Approval in the future situation for cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the regs for SVA keep getting tougher, but I think they'll be phased in slowly. i wouldn't be too surprised to see companies like Rally Design and Demon Tweeks selling aftermarkert kit car specific ABS systems in the future, in the same way you can now buy catalytic converters since that legislation came in. And I'm sure there'll be loopholes to sneak around it if needs be.

Guest mark kingston

my views on the eu are that they make up stupid rules and know that only britian will try to enforce them as the rest of europe just plain ignore them if it so suits.

Guest Petemate

I think this is also covered in the ACE website (Association of Car Enthusiasts - backed by the NASC & NSRA)

Try this & have a good look at all of their website:-

www.the-ace.org.uk

Pete

Hi there, I'm from ACE , as you may have guessed by the sign in. We are currently getting out to as many forums as possible to spread the word but it appears you are already on the ball. .

Yes, SVA IS going to be replaced by IVA and this WILL come into force in April 2009 at the same time as EUWVTA . If you'd take the time to visit the ACE site you will see it all explained along with the reasons why it would be a good idea to sign up to the newsletter. We have already been working behind the scenes for the past almost 4 years dealing with DVLA issues .

Sign up to the newsletter for the FACTS of the matter , no supposition, there are links to all the regs and all the stuff you need to realise this IS real.

There is about to be an update over the next couple of days which will include a copy of the draft IVA and the details of WHY this isn't a case of sitting back. If it looks familiar that's because it is SVA rewritten as IVA ( by VOSA ) . However it will not be passed by our own Govermant ( like SVA ) but it is a set of exclusions necessary from EUWVTA to enable home building to continue and as such has to be approved by the EU. They have a long standing hatred of SVA for anyone that doesn't know !

We are 'in the loop' on information and discussion and deal directly with the head of SVA at VOSA and also with DFT.

The site can be found here

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/

Don't forget there are updates due in the next couple of days .

If you could put up a reciprocal link and also sign up to the list of supporters it woudl be great, no pressure but you'll see what the Association hopes to achieve.

By the way, the pictures on each page are on a random loop , kit cars have just been added and 4x4's ( another large group to be affected ) are also being added. This site is really trying to pull ALL car enthusiasts together for a united voice If you check out the History page ( in the updates ) you'll see kit cars mentioned and also the amount of financial leverage we have IF we all pull together.

Thanks for listening,and if you care please spread the word of the ACE site,any queries can be put through the contacts form on the ACE site as we've an awful lot of sites to get out to ( Magazine press should be publishing details in April /May )

Kev Rooney.

PS Forgot to say that when this comes into force re IVA kits will be tested as IVA spec not retrospectiveSVA spec because you bought it earlier.. Anything that is tested by 31/3/2009 will have ONE MONTH to get registered or the MAC will be void . This is common knowledge amongst Grey Importers as they have received mailshots from VOSA to this effect.

Edited by ACE

hi seems to me that we pay these prats to be our eu mps and they dump on us .

the svA is tough enough.

abs get real , unless a company brings out a plug and play system it ant going to work.

we ant bright enough as a comunity to sort out abs , with the weights and whatever to make it work,

how many of us know exactly what our kits weigh? thats crutiul to sorting out abs .

you cant take a production car and rip out and retrofit to a kit an abs system from a production car as the weights are wrong..

hi seems to me that we pay these prats to be our eu mps and they dump on us .

the svA is tough enough.

abs get real , unless a company brings out a plug and play system it ant going to work.

we ant bright enough as a comunity to sort out abs , with the weights and whatever to make it work,

how many of us know exactly what our kits weigh? thats crutiul to sorting out abs .

you cant take a production car and rip out and retrofit to a kit an abs system from a production car as the weights are wrong..

Thats what these people are doing, they take the ABS off a smart car as well as other bits :huh: .

http://c7.michalak.eu/

Pretty expensive kit i think....Vorsprung Durch Technik and all that

I agree, fitting ABS to a Kit Car wouldn't be straightforward or cheap.

I thought that ABS sensed (and prevented) brake lockup though and so don't understand what the weight of the car has to do with it?

Please correct me if I'm wrong :unknw: and I usually am. :)

Guest timswait
I agree, fitting ABS to a Kit Car wouldn't be straightforward or cheap.

I thought that ABS sensed (and prevented) brake lockup though and so don't understand what the weight of the car has to do with it?

Please correct me if I'm wrong unknw.gif and I usually am. smile.gif

There's a whole lot of systems that go under the banner of ABS, some are pretty complicated and no doubt require all sorts of inputs from sensors dotted around the car, steering angle, yaw sensors and so forth, and yes probably needs to know details of the dynamics of the car including it's weight, but at it's simplest it's a system which detects the speeds of the wheels and the rate of deceleration. If a wheel slows faster than it's physically possible to stop the car, or one or two wheels stop when the rest don't then the system assumes the car is skidding so pulses the brakes rapidly on and off (like cadence braking). A system like that would be fairly straightforward to fit, it's less complicated than a fuel injection system, and there's plenty of aftermarket ECU's out there (Omex, DTA, Emerald, Megasquirt, etc).

I agree though that's it's undesirable to be compelled to fit one and wouldn't want to see it included in new legislation.

my thoughts are also wrong sometimes

re ripping out an abs system from a (mondeo) weight approx 1.5 ton

stick it all in a kit weighing 3/4 ton the weights dont work.

if the system works only by stopping the wheels from locking then i can understand that.

if the system needs the approx weight of the car so it can opperate then it wont work.

i dont know enough abought this system to be confident at sva it will pass.

if the wheel sensors are there to stop wheel lock up[ then it should work on any sized car once locked they are released .lack of info to brain to process.

iam thinking there must be more to it than just weight as a 1000kg car might have 1 driver weighing 80kg so the car is 1080kg or 5 people (80 *5 = 400) and a trailer (180kg) so 1580kg. Which is also quite a difference in weight and the abs still works. Well thats my logic although its often flawed...

The Jenson FF had a four wheel drive system that acted as antilock brakes as it had a clutch system that stopped any one wheel moveing much faster than another, from memory. That was back in the 70's and that was purely mechanical. Not that i want to have to fit all this either. ;)

Guest Toejam

Older / basic ABS systems to the best of my knowledge only look at weight for a pre programed max decelleration speed on the wheels. The computer looks at this so when the wheels stop it can decided 1 - Are they locked up ? 2 - Has he stoped and needs the brakes to remain stationary (20kph point is when ABS turns it's self on / off).

So.......

This is where you get your problem...... I dare say a 700kg hood can outbrake a mondeo so when if stop sharply at a set of traffic lights on a hill an ABS system will assumed all 4 wheels are locked and you'll soon be in for a nasty shock.

The good news is that the brains behind ABS at this level are really really basic. Someone will have an aftermarket setup on sale in no time if it's needed. (Thats assuming people dont figure out how to modify the programming on existing units.)

(Thats all based on an old project I had to do @ Uni so things may well have changed or the grey matter could be failing.....)

• 3 weeks later...

a bit more info re the sva

as mentioned before i have entered the dan dan car for sva ,

i have now filled in 2 declarations of amature build not 1 but 2.

to day a letter arrived from vosa

i have submitted insuficient info for the process to procede as an amature build .

they have the photos of the build

they have the major invoices for the build

i have filled in the application as i did for the last lightweight , however they are now questioning the info i gave, and requesting it again.

further to that they are questioning the fact that i may be a manufacturer and actuly producing the cars for sale.

they haqve copies of all recipts that n/hampton dvla thought were required

and photos of the build

so i phoned mr vosa

and had a chat it would appear from the chat that the main reason for the issue is that i have 2 svas already under my belt and this has flagged me up as a manufacturer of kit cars.

to say i am pi ed off is an understatement

mr vosa can look at this as it is a free public web site i would say if he does that how many kit car manufactures have type approval and how many are still offering factory built cars.

i am a heating engineer , not a kit car manufacturer.

i reolise that my love for these cars has sent my brain a bit loco but i dont do this for money .

i just love building them.

the cars i have built

the 2b sliding pillar

finnished it and didnt like the way it handled so i sold it.

my lightweight

i will never sell it

dans car

its for him to use but it wont be sold

my daughters auto

she has a disability and needs the auto box cos she cant push a clutch.

so because i am looking after my family and want them to persue this lifestyle and the club the vosa are now telling me that i am a manufacture and am not able to comply with the amature build status.

it will not end here there will be a resolution it may take time and maby a few quid but i will get it svad.

regards graham very upset