Tax On-line ?

Guest Paul Morgan

Guest Paul Morgan

Hi All,

Just gone to tax my Hood on line, thought I'd get it back on the road from saturday 1st so I could enjoy some of the sun we've been having and give me time to get some miles in before Wales at the end of March. Anyway after entering my car details on the nice goverment site and the quick insurance/MOT check it then defaults the start date of the tax to 1/02/08 :o so I would loose a whole month and no option to change the start date to 1st march. What a rip-off, does anyone know if I can change the start date to march or do I have to do it the old fashioned way, queue in the post office and fill more forms in and interact with an actual person if I want to be on the road an saturday.

Paul

hi

never had a problem taxing on line .

you can apply for tax no sooner than 14 days before the start of

the tax start date so this should not be an issue for you.

Taxed mine about a week before the start date.

Swan

ps this is what i believe to be correct unless someone knows otherwise

Guest Paul Morgan

That will teach me to sorn it through winter while a do a bit of upgrading. Anyway if I tax it on Friday on line and the tax disk doesn't arrive saturday (which it won't) am I still legal to drive it at the weekend or can I be done for not displaying the disk.

Technically it is illegal to keep the vehicle on the road (or drive it) without displaying a valid tax disc. In practical terms any policeman will be able to do a computer check to confirm it is taxed. I would think this genuine instance of 'it's in the post' must be happening more often these days of taxing online so I would guess the cops are not making an issue of the technical offence. You might get caught in a council sweep carried out by a traffic warden/bumwipe/jobsworth and not be given a reasonable go. Dunno really.

Nigel

Guest salty_monk

When mine broke down the other week... 2 friendly ladies of the law helped me to push it to a safe spot whilst giving me a "blues" break so nobody careered into us. My Tax disk was sitting on a pin board at dad's place. Ooops.

Luckily they were much more concerned about the situation & that I could handle it. Didn't even notice the tax disk. I think a lot of police wouldn't know where to look on our cars as they are "funny" cars with tax disks & number plates etc setup a little weird you don't immediately notice.

Dan :)

Guest fozzy2007

I read somewhere the other day that you do not have to displap a tax disc in a kit car like ours as they are not secure. but on the other hand a bike does. maybe i read it wrong and you dont have to display a tax disc in the winscreen. tried to look for thread on the subject but cant find. always nervous with my disc. when i park the car i have to decide if its worth removing so some scally wag does not nick it or leave it in place so the car does not get clamped. tough one!