Tax On-line ?

Guest Paul Morgan

Guest pwlcarz

May be wrong but I thought the offence was "not displaying a valid tax disc" and the excuse that it was in the post was not actually a legal defence? May be Enforcer can enlighten us?

Surely an example of technology progressing but the law makers/enforcers still not catching up?

P

Ive just tried taxing my Sorn'd 2B again this morning

It still only allows the tax to start from 1st Feb, so I cancelled it & filled in their request for a response to their on-line tax system..not putting too much money on anyone reading it..... ^_^

I guess I'll be in the post office Q with all them b****y old pensioners again later this morning.... :D :D :D

Bob

It is still an offence to fail to display an excise licence, and it must be displayed on the nearside of the windscreen. There are no provisions/exemptions for open-top vehicles. <_<

Any police officer checking a motor vehicle on PNC can verify...

That a valid excise licence is in force

That a valid insurance certificate is in force (and who the permitted drivers are)

That a valid MOT is in force.

Therefore if all the above are in place you will probably not be stopped (unless you've just done a power-slide under their noses!) :D

However, I'm going to come clean here and cough that I DO display my VEL on the car at all times, but it is mounted in a strong alloy holder which is bolted in the top left corner of the dash through the chassis rail. If challenged I would argue that to display the licence in the bottom left side of the screen actually creates a considerable blind-spot given the size of the screen and the driving position. I reckon that's fair. ;)

TaxDisc.jpg

By the way, people often think ANPR cameras 'read' a VEL.... they can't, they just go on the PNC database.

And is it just me or is anyone else uncomfortable with the new cameras that can smell your blood?!?! :unsure:

Guest pwlcarz

Enforcer => And is it just me or is anyone else uncomfortable with the new cameras that can smell your blood?!?!

Totally agree.

In 1984, the year Big Brother was set in (for our younger readers, no not the TV show!) if someone had suggested we would have CCTV cameras on virtually every street recording your every moves, cameras recording your average speed, cameras that can detect the number of passengers in a vehicle, cameras reading number plates, etc., etc. it would have been dismissed as far fetched paranoia. And yet here we are 20 years later and look what we've got.

People are now suggesting everyone should have their DNA recorded ("to catch criminals/murderers/rapists"... "for our protection"... "for our own good"...).

But does anyone actually feel safer, more secure with the advancement of the over intrusive State?

As they say "we know where you are, we know where you live, we know what you are doing" "And we ARE coming to get YOU!".

Discuss!

in terms of having your tax disc nicked it might be worth scanning or photo'ing your tax disc incase someone does take it. At least you can prove you once had one whist trying to get a new one. Why not go crazy this weekend and copy your passport, driving licience etc as well. Not that i have done this yet :rolleyes:

Guest crimewade

i think the paper disc in the window has had its day...... soon we wont even have reg plates, just a bar code on the rear, the romamce of motoring is slowly turning into a comedy of errors... every one will soon driving cars like the ones in the bugsy malone film, with all your passengers peddling like mad, and house prices in norfolk going through the roof because its so flat.

i think the paper disc in the window has had its day...... soon we wont even have reg plates, just a bar code on the rear, the romamce of motoring is slowly turning into a comedy of errors... every one will soon driving cars like the ones in the bugsy malone film, with all your passengers peddling like mad, and house prices in norfolk going through the roof because its so flat.

Chris I fully agree but at least the bar code on your rear would be coverd by your Y fronts