Welding Gas

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

My mate's just got a MIG welder second hand. It's a nice bit of kit, but it runs off the big bottles of CO2, not the throwaway disposable type. This seemed a good idea when he bought it as it should work out cheaper than using the disposable ones, but he can't find anywhere to fill up the bottle. It's the same type used by pubs for pressurising beer kegs, he's tried asking at a few local pubs, but they say their breweries deal with the bottles. Does anyone know of anywhere in Sheffield that can fill these bottles, or what type of place or shop would do?

Guest salty_monk

BOC do them....

They normally want you to pay a monthly rental on the bottle but if yours is the same type... pay one month rent (about 4 quid) & take the empty one back.

Dan :)

:unsure: If you want welds that are stronger than pidgeon poo get the right gas from BOC or Air Products --your life & that of others may depend on it---the gas from pub bottles can be very "wet" which doesn't matter when all its got to do is push beer--welding is more dependent on the chemistry of gas, filler wire & heat reacting with the parent metal ( & how clean that is ) You've got an amateur holding the torch--don't add amateur materials to your problems--Rant over. :o

I have a big mig that should run off the big bottles but i too found it difficult to get the big bottles so i just bought the small disposable bottles and a regulator. Works ok and cheap to switch to Argon if i want to weld ALu or SS. They are about 10pounds a bottle. Machine mart do the regulators. hth

Guest craig030774

i got a trumpet off an old fire extinguisher the thread fits pub bottles no problem then silver soldered to the normal regulator and get my bottles for £15 from a caravan storage place that do calor refills hth

craig

I've got an account with BOC for a half size Argoshield bottle that I use on my big MIG welder which I hardly ever use now so I only get a bottle once every couple of years, but the one thing I will say about BOC is I've hardly ever know a company increase their prices as often as they do.

I can't remember how much I pay for the annual rental but I think it costs something like £50 to get the bottle refilled. Now that my welding is mostly thin stull and stainless steel rather than big mild steel fabrications, I use a small hobby type welder with gasless wire for mild steel and a small disposable bottle for welding stainless which I think are about a tenner a time from Halfrauds or Machine Mart. A good tip with the disposable bottles is to always loosen off the regulator when you finish welding as they sometimes don't seal that well and the gas tends to escape over time.

My mate's just got a MIG welder second hand. It's a nice bit of kit, but it runs off the big bottles of CO2, not the throwaway disposable type. This seemed a good idea when he bought it as it should work out cheaper than using the disposable ones, but he can't find anywhere to fill up the bottle. It's the same type used by pubs for pressurising beer kegs, he's tried asking at a few local pubs, but they say their breweries deal with the bottles. Does anyone know of anywhere in Sheffield that can fill these bottles, or what type of place or shop would do?

Tim, I get mine filled by a local Fire Prevention firm for £20 if this helps. Cheers,

Guest Alan_builder

Have a look at ALLWELD, They are a national supplier of welding bits, a BOC supplier.

Guest Daren.F

I use large celler gas bottles, I get them from a local pop distributer, no deposit and £11 a bottle.

No use to you, but the are next door but one to Vehicle Wiring Products in Ilkeston Derbyshire