Camshaft Or Cam Kit?

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi all.

I have decided that before I fit my bike carbs I might as well do a cam change at the same time.

If my 2.0 pinto has only done a couple of thousand miles since rebuild,do I need a cam kit or can I get away with just a camshaft?

As you know,the price diffrence is quite a lot!

Cheers.

Steve.

Guest chris brown
Hi all.

I have decided that before I fit my bike carbs I might as well do a cam change at the same time.

If my 2.0 pinto has only done a couple of thousand miles since rebuild,do I need a cam kit or can I get away with just a camshaft?

As you know,the price diffrence is quite a lot!

Cheers.

Steve.

I take it you are changing the cam for a "hotter" one if so you may require followers with a different profile in which case you will need a kit.

Guest MJThewlis

I'd go with cam, followers and the standard ball studs. Standard springs are fine provided they are in good condition / haven't been ronud the world!

This works out a lot cheaper...

Guest smegheadsteve

An engine shop did the rebuild so not sure exactly what they did.

Sounds like I am going to have to get a kit,looking at the best part of £400 with a vernier pulley.Better get some overtime in!

Cheers.

Steve.

Guest Mike Coombs

£400! i just paid about £220 delivered for a kent cam kit from rally design and £40 for a vernier pulley second hand off ebay add a few quid for a gasket set, timing belt and head bolts and it shouldn't be more than £300

dunno if you realise (i didn't) you have to take the head off/engine out to change the cam, its removed out the back of the head through all three bearing towers. you do on my van anyway.

Mike

Guest smegheadsteve

I'll try rally design.

Was planning on taking the head off anyway,didnt think you could do it without.

I've been looking at vernier pulleys on ebay,anyone know if the pin type are any good?

Steve.

The FR32 is a good all round choice. I take it you have a standard engine, standard head but the bike carbs & maybe a RHE 4 branch?

If so the FR32 is a good choice. If you have a modded head, bigger valves etc. then you can use the FR33.

You will lose a slight amount of torque with the FR32,m but you wont notice it in the Hood given its light weight.

The FR33 will trade torque for more HP at higher revs.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jonathan Tall
The FR32 is a good all round choice. I take it you have a standard engine, standard head but the bike carbs & maybe a RHE 4 branch?

If so the FR32 is a good choice. If you have a modded head, bigger valves etc. then you can use the FR33.

You will lose a slight amount of torque with the FR32,m but you wont notice it in the Hood given its light weight.

The FR33 will trade torque for more HP at higher revs.

Bob

Hi Guys

Looking for a new Cam kit myself, Opinions please..

Engine spec:

205 block, Twin 45's, Vulcan Maxiflow 1 head, 4 into 1 branch manifold

Jonathan Tall

PS havent been around for a few years, whos the Midland area secretary/whens the area meeting??

The FR32 with a 285 nominal duration is a good upgrade for the road and most of your power will be well within the safe limits of your engine, the Maxiflow head will mean that the cam is allowed to work a little better than the standard head.

KwikArf and Gavinc have a lightning rod cam which has i think a duration of 300 to 310 and has a roughish tickover but when i went out for a ride in it the other day proved to be very usable.

The lighter weight of the 7 type car seems to make the car feel better than if the same cam was in a heavier one.