Top Wishbone Ball Joint

Snapperpaul

My build goes back and forth and this time i found both the rubbers on the Transit draglink ball joints on my Series 3a rotted, GBH offered to replace but Kwik Arf and Gavinc dropped off a couple of new rubber boots so on they went.

In the process i had to remove the dummy strut mushrooms and have decided to repaint and refurb the lot.

My question is.... do i need the locknut?. It won't move once installed and the plastic covers i have for them won't accomodate the locknut.

If it does need to be fixed could i drill it and use a roll pin?

Guest chris brown
My build goes back and forth and this time i found both the rubbers on the Transit draglink ball joints on my Series 3a rotted, GBH offered to replace but Kwik Arf and Gavinc dropped off a couple of new rubber boots so on they went.

In the process i had to remove the dummy strut mushrooms and have decided to repaint and refurb the lot.

My question is.... do i need the locknut?. It won't move once installed and the plastic covers i have for them won't accomodate the locknut.

If it does need to be fixed could i drill it and use a roll pin?

The only reason for fitting the lock nut that I can see is to stop the joint turning a few degrees which may cause it to catch up on full lock and would certainly cause the rubber boots to give out earlier. So providing you can think of a way of keeping the threaded part still then I don’t see a problem in leaving it off.

Guest Takumi

Threads need to be under some tension otherwise they will wear much more quickly, as they vibrate within even the tighest tolerances..

I cut the big M18 nut in half just to fit on my new top wishbone setup..as I've got huge rosejoints at the top, and a extended dummy mcpherson pin upto the rosejoint (maybe 3" from the top of the mcpherson)

-tak

i wrapped some squash balls around the nut to pass SVA. Just cut 2 holes opposite each other the diameter of the wishbone and the drag link then put it on before assembly or slit it (like i did) and silicone it on. It looks quite neat as squash balls are quite thick black rubber. HTH

I have solved the problem of the locknut and the balljoint covers, CBS do some large heat shrink so i can cut back the very nice ball joint covers so as to fit the lock nut and use the shrink wrap to cover the nuts..

Roll on Detling, i feel another big spend coming on.