Help Tosh Sat Pro Dead

miikae

Help needed for my lads laptop as it wont turn on at all now ,(it was locking itself up after about 10 mins of being turned on ) i think that the bios settings may have been altered , if that is the case then how can i reset the bios so that it will at least turn on .

Any ideas anyone .

Mike

Guest Jabberwocky

if it was locking up after 10 minutes perhaps the cooling fan has died and the thing was overheating. So it might not be a good sign that it is not working at all now.

do you get any lights on when you have plugged the power in?

Great stuff Many Thanks , its back on now , so i will have to see how long it goes before it freezes again , is there a cooling fan in these a i cant hear anything running , When it boots up it does say sum check bad & bad bat RTC , how can i sort this i wonder ?

Mike

Hi , it lasted about 20 mins this time before turning itself off , i will have to check to see if the fan is ok .

I had thought that possibly the BIOS bat may be on its way out as it must be at least 5 years old if that means anything these days .

When it goes off i have one green and one amber light still on .

Many thanks to you both you have been a great help , so time to take the back off now and hope there are no dead mice in there !!!

Mike

my laptop dies occasionally and is due to a bad Hard drive connector cable. It shuts down to prevent damage. Do you get a blue screen of death or does it just shut down?

Before you take everything apart you might want to try linux operating system. You can run this without effecting windows (i assume you have) it just runs off the CD and does not install anything to harddrive. Slax is very easy to use but you need to create a bootable live disc. have a read on the below link.

http://www.slax.org/

Everyone should know how good linux is especially when windows is on the blink as you can recover data from the harddrive without having to re-install things.

No excuses for school/college "my computer crashed and i cant get to my work"...

Let me know if you need more info.

HTH

my laptop dies occasionally and is due to a bad Hard drive connector cable. It shuts down to prevent damage. Do you get a blue screen of death or does it just shut down?

Hi , Many thanks for that info , my screen sometimes just freezes (no blue devil screen ) but today it just turned itself off and maybe wants to cool down if it is the fan that has popped .

I will look in to Linux as i have known about it for years now , i think that i did try it many moons ago on one of many of my old comps that now reside in the attic where all old comps go to rest .

Mike

just remembered my friends laptop would freeze up after getting hot. turned out the fan system has fins to help cooling which had became blocked with fluff and stopped the airflow. as you say might be worth a look to check the fan is working as well if you arent getting an airflow out of the fan ports.

Guest craig030774

those sat pro have a dodgy connector on the back is the battery ok as if that is dead and the lead is suss it will go off. that was what was wrong with my mates

The battery could well be on its way out , but all those contacts on it dont give one too much confidence of all making a good connection .

The rear power connector was replaced a few months back and seems ok at the moe .

It now seems to run longer running on the battery only ,before it locks up and with the power cable disconnected , possible due to it taking longer to warm up without having the higher power settings running whilst on battery .

Mike

Guest Toejam

I work with sat pro's a lot ( most of the dif models for the last 6 years)

Is it an A60 you've got ? Metallic blue lid with a very rounded shape to it on the corners. They are always giving me grief with the fans failing & as the fan is on the bottom rather than the side they suck all the dust and rubbish up off your desk.

(Only other problem we had with sat pros was batteries going on the very old models & hard drives too on the A60's)

It is in fact a model PS610E , SP6100 series so quite an old one i beleive 5 years old maybe .

So about anything could be happen now aarrgghh ,

I dont think my lad has much patience these days so he brings it to me to sort out , the old man !!!

Mike

Guest craig030774

not too bad to take apart them my mate found distructions on t web and i took it apart and fitted an external connector, loads better then had to format hard drive as it was playing up but touch wood been ok since