Type 9 Gearbox Length 4 & 5 Speed

Guest Alan_builder

Guest Alan_builder

Hi all

Quick question is the 5 speed type 9 gearbox longer than the 4 speed one?

If so / also did, Robin hood ever make a longer propshaft or do we just have less engaugement if the 4 speed gearbox is fitted?

Big worry as the project is for a friend.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

5 speed box is longer than the 4 speed and on the Series 3a that i had there were two mounting places with the 4 speed forward of the 5 speed this would need a longer prop as the bell housing would foul the tunnel if moved back any more.

The 4 speed has much better first gear ratio but of course no overdrive 5th, it was more fragile than the 5 speed but not by much.

Hi Alan.

Its the same length for both gearboxes. I have a 2B propshaft fitted in Spanky after the rubber doughnut went south on the old prop. It was fitted to a 4-speed box before I up graded to a 5-speed box. The only mod that I had to do was to cut the floor to fit the 5-speed box.

Chris

Guest RichardO

I've just replaced a type 3 4-speed gearbox (from a cortina) with a type 9 on an early 90's S7.

The type 9 mounting points are definitely in a position further away from the engine that the type 3, but I cannot comment on the overall length (the knackered type 3 was in the tip well before the type 9 had seen the car). I have had to get a new prop-shaft as the output shaft is different and the new prop-shaft is smaller in length than the one for the type 3.

I would say, overall, that the type 9 is is definitely longer that the type 3.

Rich...

Just measured my old 4 speed box 30 1/2 " from bellhousing to end of tail casting plus 17mm of 25 spline shaft , not certain of the total length of a five speed type 9 but i thought that it was approx 2-3" longer i may be wrong here & getting confused with the mounting being further back , i had no problem changing from a 4 to a 5 , just moved the mounting back and used the same propshaft as it was a perfect fit .

Mike

There are a lot of different 4 speed boxes which can confuse the issue. In general terms 4 speed boxes from 2.0 cars have a 1" x 23 input spline and a 25 output spline and can use a common propshaft to the type 9 but the mounting sits a bit further back on the type 9.

Any 4 speed box fitted to 1.6 Capris, Cortinas and early Sierras will be shorter and has a 7/8" x 20 input shaft and a 23 spline output and will require a different prop. Later 1.6 Sierras with 4 speed boxes used the same as 4 speed 2.0 Cortinas etc.

I went through all these dilemmas when changing my 1.6 S7 to 2 litre and wondering what gearbox / clutch combination to use. The Burton Power catalogue has a lot of useful info on most Ford rear wheel drive boxes.

Andy