Old Chassis And Sva?

Guest RH CAT 7

Guest RH CAT 7

if i put a new body on a triumph herald chassis , will it have to have sva or can i just do a change of body on the v5c? i looked on dvla ect sites but do not understand..... regards

Guest chris brown
if i put a new body on a triumph herald chassis , will it have to have sva or can i just do a change of body on the v5c? i looked on dvla ect sites but do not understand..... regards

As I read it there is no requirement for SVA in the same way if you build a beach buggy using a VW beetle chassis

so if i bend my lighteight and given that i have enough bits to re build .

do i need to re sva?

regards graham

or stamp my numbers on to new chassis

....in the same way if you build a beach buggy using a VW beetle chassis

I've wondered about this regarding my Bonito - it uses an unmodified Beetle chassis and all the oily bits (though likely a non-Beetle engine), with a GRP body stuck on top. So will that need an SVA? It still says "Beetle" on the V5!

Guest Ian & Carole

If it were that simple I would have a Green and Gold zero 7 in my garage with a Toyota 16v motor in it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pre regetered !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Any one want a 2b rolling chassis??

:D :rolleyes:

Ian J

[so i still dont know what to do if i bend mine ian.

and ian you are posh judging by where you work in the hotel industry so i still dont know what to .

so gold is that cheap paint

so can you put that prat away for some time?

or do you have to just live with him.

regards graqham

Guest chris brown
so if i bend my lighteight and given that i have enough bits to re build .

do i need to re sva?

regards graham

or stamp my numbers on to new chassis

No just rebuild it providing the insurance company don’t give it a cat A (crush only) B (parts only). A cat C will need a VIC check by VOSA only and a class D is just repair and straight back on the road

Guest chris brown
I've wondered about this regarding my Bonito - it uses an unmodified Beetle chassis and all the oily bits (though likely a non-Beetle engine), with a GRP body stuck on top. So will that need an SVA? It still says "Beetle" on the V5!

I have a mate who has just built a beach buggy and as it has the original beetle chassis he has it straight on the road as a modified beetle. No SVA required

Guest elliot tanner

Say you have a kit that was manufactured pre-SVA test... should that have to go through the test or simply get an MOT and on the road?

An old kit bought pre SVA but just completed goes for SVA.

I think Grahams answer is he could rebuild using the original chassis/monocoque or a new chassis/monocoque, certified by the manufacturer to be to the same specification as the original and retain the vehicle identity. A secondhand monocoque would require an SVA. A beach buggy using the original beetle chassis and two or more major parts would retain the original identity but with altered body details and no SVA.

Putting an old kit (pre SVA ) back on the road would depend initially on its official identity. If registered as a robin hood, no problem. If registered as a sierra or whatever then it may be possible if you can supply sufficient evidence of it being on the road as a kit, pre SVA. The rules are on the DVLA website here. I suspect it is going to get steadily more difficult as time goes by and DVLA and the EEC get more and more anal.

Nigel

they are trying to clamp down on this grey area. Banham produced the TT shaped cars on a metro which was chopped. They originally didnt need SVA as they had not altered the floor pan, but seeing as the metro was a monocoque SVA realised that the Chassis had been altered sufficently beyond the original design and iam pretty sure they need an SVA test. If you start with a ladder chassis like the herald then it hasnt changed the chassis's original design if you simply change the top. Old kits like the Rotrax wont need SVA either if you have the log book for the Land rover it was built on as it is an unaltered chassis.

Edited by agent_zed