What Year/reg Is Allowed Black/silver Plates?

Guest crwoodford

Guest crwoodford

What Year/Reg is allowed/Can have Black Registration Plates with White or Silver letters/numerics?

I'm looking at a car that is LLL NNN W (L=Letter, N=Number)

And has Black/Silver Plates. Are these legal?

Many Thanks

Col (Taunton)

What Year/Reg is allowed/Can have Black Registration Plates with White or Silver letters/numerics?

I'm looking at a car that is LLL NNN W (L=Letter, N=Number)

And has Black/Silver Plates. Are these legal?

Many Thanks

Col (Taunton)

Just use any font you want, make sure the plate background has lots of little Tazmanian Devils (or similar) on it. Get your favourite football club's emblem added in a panel on the left hand side then screw it on with lots of screws with big black heads in random locations to make it a bit more difficult to read. Finally get what you're trying to get the plate to read, printed in little letters along the bottom of the plate because let's face it, most of these reg numbers are pretty cr@p and you need something at the bottom to help you de-cypher them.

Of course it won't be legal, but you'll be far less likely to get pulled over than if you leave plain black and silver plates on.

HTH - though probably not.

Guest crwoodford
Of course it won't be legal, but you'll be far less likely to get pulled over than if you leave plain black and silver plates on.

Mmmmm not quite sure what particular axe is being grinded here... but I suspect Enforcer will have something to add?

All I want is to be legal... and clearly the W Reg black plate I described will not be illegal if it is used?

Personally... There is nothing worse or more NAFF than a bog standard number plate where the letters have been manipulated and placed in such a way that if you squint with one eye open standing on one leg it might just look vaguely like someone's name?

Regards and many thanks to Agent Z for the heads up.

Regards

Col (Taunton)

Sorry Col but you're stuck with plain old white for the front and yellow for the back. As I mentioned on an earlier thread (about stick-on) numberplates there is currently a nation-wide initiative to clamp down on illegal plates because ANPR and other plate-reading equipment struggles with it.

For the record, fraudulent use of a registration mark can carry a sentence of 2 years imprisonment (if only there was the room). So all those people who interfere with the plates with black tape, screws etc are really tempting fate.

In reality you are looking at a fixed penalty (non-endorseable) or possibly a VDRS (vehicle defect rectification notice) which will require you to correct the 'defect' and have the ticket stamped by an MOT testing station within 14 days.

An awful lot of work has been put in place to make it harder to get plates made up - however there is still clearly a lot to do to target unscrupulous individuals and companies who will make you up a 'show' plate ("as long as you don't use it on the road sir ;) "). At the end of the day we don't need flash plates or other chavvy gear to turn heads with our cars, so why bother?

Mmmmm not quite sure what particular axe is being grinded here... but I suspect Enforcer will have something to add?

My axe is probably already sharp enough and I'm certainly not having a dig at the police who have a difficult enough job without worrying about number plates.

Just pointing out that I seem to see an awful lot of cars going round with blatantly illegal plates on them and people seem to be getting away with it. I know that the penalties are severe and I believe the DVLA technically have the power to seize plates from serious offenders but with such a large proportion of motoring offences being detected by ANPR - these people have little or no chance of being detected and they all seem to know it.

Don't worry ... we're onto it! :ph34r:

You've also got to point a finger at our old friends the DVLA who have a nice little income generation from the sale of number plates which are blatantly going to be abused <_<

When you buy plates from the DVLA they do tell the buyer that it is ilegal to alter the spacings and that the new plates you have just bought could be confiscated from the buyer and with no refund of the price you paid for them , so your mistake your loss no refund .

So no excuses excepted , you have been warned !!

Mike

Guest shaggy

A mate of mine went down N Wales a couple of weeks ago, and 4 out of the 12 of them got pulled and on the spot fines for having bike sized plates on the front of their VX220's.

Is it about number recognition, or revenue generation - the latter me thinks

Simon

No, you'd be wrong. Police officers are not in the business of income generation for the government. We uphold the law. Is there a threshold where minor law abuse is acceptable? Should motorists be allowed to get away with blatantly disregarding the rules which we all have to abide to? Absolutely not.

Let me assure you that the last thing on those officers' minds would be to make money for the Government. After all, THEY OWE US £30,000,000!

FairPay.jpg

.... Is there a threshold where minor law abuse is acceptable? Should motorists be allowed to get away with blatantly disregarding the rules which we all have to abide to?

Absolutely not, but I think ordinary folk like us who are generally 'law abiding', feel aggrieved at how quick and how harsh the law is brought down on us for things like this, which you have to admit is relatively minor in the general scheme of things, when day after day we see scrotes running around causing mayhem and the worst they ever get is a slap on the wrist! :unknw:

Sorry for stating the blinking obvious with an old clichéd arguent.

Fair pay for police :good:

And yet day after day i witness more and more people of all ages and gender happily driving around with mobile phones in their hands and no seatbelts.

One delivery van driver was even on the phone, no seat belt as he drove up to the manned security gate, armed Police etc, where i work.

It seems that the numberplate issue is so they can do away with more Police and just use ANPR via CCTV, no good if you change the number and there are no Police on the roads.

I would rather put a smaller front plate on mine or a stickon one on the nose rather than the well known but hard to prove dodge of a broken plate in the back.

" Sorry Officer it just broke a few miles back"