New Ignition Switch

Guest David corsi

Guest David corsi

Hi all I have a problem with the ignition switch, i want to change it and put it on the dash. I have got a new one from the local motor shop. Problem is I am crap with electrics, First from the ign. switch there are 4 wires RED (30) BLACK/YELLOW(50) BLACK(15) thin yellow®. On the new switch marked IGN, BAT, ACC, ST. So which gose where? I don't want to conect up wrong and blow any major thing up. Thanks <_< :o

Wire colours may vary depending on which wireing loom was used .

If indoubt connect 30 first Bat + and then check with a meter or a light bulb which terminal gets power when the switch is operated .

30 bat +

50 start

15 ign

R acc

Mike

Not 100% sure what the initials mean but the sierra standard is:

Battery +..................Red ..........................30...........?BAT

Ignition live...............Black/Yellow...............15...........?IGN

Start(cranking)..........Black/Blue.................50............?ST

Accesories(radio).......Yellow.......................R.............?ACC

I think you may have read the terminal numbers wrong. I have given the correct terminal number for function above. There can be colour variation. I have seen a Black wire replace the Black/Yellow.

Nigel

Guest David corsi
Wire colours may vary depending on which wireing loom was used .

If indoubt connect 30 first Bat + and then check with a meter or a light bulb which terminal gets power when the switch is operated .

30 bat +

50 start

15 ign

R acc

Mike

Thanks for the info mike conected up and engine turned over, but still had my old trouble with the starter motor still turning over when the key was removed from the ignition? Will have to take hoodie to electric place in warwick for them to look at.

regards Dave.

Guest David corsi
Hi Dave ,

Have you checked that the starter solinoid contacts are not sticking as badly worn burnt contacts can weld themselves together ,

Mike

I have had the starter and solinoid looked at by a guy who recons starters he refitted new contacts and bearing in both. He said if the starter in still running with the key out take the spade connecter from the solinoid if it is still running it was a ignishion problem, hence new ign. switch.

dave

Guest David corsi
Not 100% sure what the initials mean but the sierra standard is:

Battery +..................Red ..........................30...........?BAT

Ignition live...............Black/Yellow...............15...........?IGN

Start(cranking)..........Black/Blue.................50............?ST

Accesories(radio).......Yellow.......................R.............?ACC

I think you may have read the terminal numbers wrong. I have given the correct terminal number for function above. There can be colour variation. I have seen a Black wire replace the Black/Yellow.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel for the help, put hoodie back to bed and lunch for me now may have a fiddle later.

Regards dave