Which Petrol Cap ?

Guest dhorsler

Guest dhorsler

silly question but my robin hood exmo purchased second hand came with a temporary petrol cap as the original got lost somehow, which the mot man said needs changing for a proper one, the question is what petrol cap do i need to purchase.

The tank i am assuming is the one supplied with the exmo kit, the filler pipe exits top right of the rear vertical panel (back of car), see picture (not great but best i currently have available), the tank is a rectangle shape held in with two straps underneath it.

does anyone know what size filler cap this is likely to be to save me buying a whole string of filler caps before finding the right size one ?

I have Mini petrol caps but they are too large but it is that type of design whereby the end of the filler pipe sits proud of the back of the car.

P3220819_cr.jpg

many thanks

Dave Horsler

Guest a8dyc
any guesses anybody ?

I assume it would have come with the kit in the first place ?

Can you show a picture without the bung in cap.May be able to tell then.

Andy

Guest charliems7

Would help if you had a pic of the pipe itself,if it's solid molded plastic

it's probably a standard sierra one, with 2 self tapper's throught the back panel,

same as on my S7.Halfords would have one probably.

charlie

Guest dhorsler

thanks for that, i'll take a photo without the plastic thing tomorrow evening and will probably pick up a sierra cap in the morning for trial fitting.

cheers

Dave

silly question but my robin hood exmo purchased second hand came with a temporary petrol cap as the original got lost somehow, which the mot man said needs changing for a proper one, the question is what petrol cap do i need to purchase.

P3220819_cr.jpg

Dave, i think if it's just to keep the mot man happy all you need is a filler cap with a locking mechanism because the existing looks like the type that just pulls off, pretty sure you can get one like you have, but with a securing twisty bit in the centre, most garages that do mot's have them in stock, i think these are what the bro-in-law uses :huh:

hth

cheers

ek B)

Guest chris brown
my thoughts are that he kneck needs to only accept the unleaded pump.

so if the oppening is too large then it dont work for sva.

regards graham

What are you on about Graham? :p :lol: Only need a reducer in the neck if a cat is fitted and then only for SVA as checking that is not part of the MoT. It’s nothing to do with unleaded it's the fact that the cap fitted wont seal the tank which is a MoT fail

Guest dhorsler

cheers guys,

the car was built before the age of sva testing so escaped on a number of dubious areas i reckon...., i.e. would never pass if it was tested now :rolleyes:

the mot guy, a friend of mine says the plastic one doesn't seal and it needs something that would seal a bit and prevent spillage etc, the current plastic thing is appalling.

obtained a sierra cap today, haven't had chance to try it yet though, is now relegated to a weekend job.

On a complete tangent the engine is a 2l pinto which has what i would consider appalling performance but there again it is a big heavy lump and i am used to things like k-series and honda vtec engines which i have shoe-horned into minis, my question is if anyone also has a 2l pinto what do they think of its performance?

I have fiddled with just about everything, mixture, timing etc etc but can't get any more power out of it and am considering going for a cam change to something a tad sportier or even more extreme measures such as a later ford or k-series engine but part of me says it must be possible to get satisfactory performance from a 2litre engine but to be honest my 599cc turbo smart car can out accelerate it, very dissapointing really. The only thing i haven't yet checked is the cam timing but i can't believe it could be 1 tooth out and run as smoothly as it does, any thoughts ?

cheers

Dave

a correctly running pinto will out accelerate a smart until a point where aerodynamics come into effect. This type of car has woefully poor aerodynamics, there's little you can do apart from remove your screen. Performance wise you'll have to let faster things past above 60mph! I have an efi pinto, bog standard, runs quickly enough for my degree of talent!

Don't forget your pinto engine is probably at least 100,000 miles old. It is yesterdays technology and out of the factory was giving about 55 BHP/L. It is a very tunable engine. Raising CR, porting, three angle seats, 285 cam and bike carbs take you to 150 BHP very easily and cheaply and the engine has an old fashioned aggressive delivery and sounds good in a higher state of tune. Give it some TLC.

Nigel

Guest dhorsler

that's true, its certainly not in perfect health i'm sure. it smokes a fair bit after starting which i'm assumming is valve seals, was toying with the idea of popping the head off to do the seals and fit a fast road cam whilst i was at it, a decoke wouldn't hurt i'm sure.....

It runs smooth enough, no misfires just lacking in oomph, although I am still yet to be convinced it is the 2 litre as the seller insisted but possibly the 1.6l as shown on the log book from the sierra donor car. The block has '205' embossed on it which i believe is the 2litre but still 100% convinved to be honest.

cheers

Dave

I am still yet to be convinced it is the 2 litre as the seller insisted but possibly the 1.6l as shown on the log book from the sierra donor car. The block has '205' embossed on it which i believe is the 2litre but still 100% convinved to be honest.

If it has 205 marked on the block then its a 2Ltr

Sierra blocks (1986 on) have

165 cast on them for 1600cc.

185 cast on them for 1800cc

205 cast on them for 2000cc ( small 205 marking for Sierra 2.0IS block and very large 205 marking for Cosworth block)