Help Sva On 1st April

Guest jwaterman

Guest jwaterman

Hi All.

I have my test in a week yes on 1st April, The car has passed its MOT which is a start. Drives really well, except for the engine running to weak.

After speaking with a friend who's Dax has just passed, he has warned me that my Lower dash radius is incorrect!! Its actually 7mm,

After speaking with the SVA centre in Norwich they have confirmed that the radius should be 19mm MIN.

I have managed to avoid using any temporay lagging etc in readiness for test so far. But feel this may have to be the only way.

Small problem though the padding must not be too soft, SVA man says anything that is as soft as a pencil eraser is the minimum softness, pipe lagging seems softer!!

Anyone got through test using lagging that has been trimmed with leather cloth and glued to edge?? thats the only solution i can think of!!!

Also one other thing the front spring adjusting nuts, do these have to covered as these radiuses seem very sharp??

Hope some one can help me

John.

Guest Taffy Rob

Hi

my sva tester said that the bottom edge of the dashboard, if you have padded it, only needs to be 5mm? I fitted leather cloth covered lagging, it wasn't glued on though, and was told it wasn't acceptable, but the radius turned out ok anyway.

I taped the nuts up, and was told that tape wasn't acceptable either, but he decided it wasn't accessable enough, mind you he'd failed me on enough parts of the front suspension by then anyway so maybe he'd had enough of writing by then!

Rob

I thought that the spring nuts were sufficiently hidden in the middle of the suspension to not need covering. Wrong! The tester managed to work the metal dome into there and they are a definite failure point. I wrapped 6mm foam over the nuts and taped it up with electricians tape. But that was last year; the testers seem to be more strict now stating that solutions must be deemed to be permanent.

Padded dashes must have an edge radius of at least 5mm; unpadded dashes must have at least 19mm edge radius.

Daz

Guest JohnS

Norwich faid mine on lower dash rad (amongst other things)

They seam very strict on rads internal and external,

as said coil over adjusting nuts

seat belt upper bolts need covering

track rod ajusters,

If your testing at Norwich your not that far from me in Ipswich,

so if you need any thing shout eg. my SVA complant dash is only held in with two screws bit extreame but possable.

JohnS

Guest graham dockerill

Hi JohnS as you are in Ipswich can I have a look at your car as it would help more to see a completed car. My 2b is getting there but reading various posts the SVA looks more strict than last year. I'm at Foxhall Road Ipswich 01473 714708 regards Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jwaterman

Cheers All.

I managed to pass the SVA first time. Can't believe it! Thanks for all your replies. In the end i shaped and then covered some pipe lagging with leather coth. Ans stuck it to dash with sillycone sealler!! that passed ok.

With regards to the suspension components i covered all the doggie radiusus with some sticky backed foam. it sticks like *bleep* to a blanket. if the examiner tries to peel it off, it decintigrates. looks ok too.

I am finally on the road, only 19 months of hard graft. Hope to see you all at the Stoneliegh show.

thank you all for your help and guidance.

John W.