Front Infill Panels

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

I'm just about to fit the infill panels permanently and i just wanted to check whether they fit tight up to the chassis all the way along or do you keep them as straight as possible and space them out from the chassis where necessary...????

Cheers

Twoscoops

hi two scoops

ive fitted mine tight to the chassis and now its done i think it would have been better leaving a gap so they were straight , it allso seems to have left not much room between the steering rack boot and the panel , looks like i will have to trim the hole that the rack comes through so i would have left it straight .

cheers ant ..

Guest Twoscoops

Hmmmnn thats exactly what I'm looking at.

I'm also worried about the panel denting due to the additional stress on them from being fixed following the curve of the chassis along the bottom.

Any other comments...???

hi two scoops

my panels did not crease or dent , i just found it difficult two get a neat fold to go under the chassis if i did it again (still might do ) i would bend shape and cut the panel off the car with wish bones taken out, but my infill panels were fitted very early at same time of wishbones as i did not look forward to taking off once i had fitted them i did trim panel before fitting just around the chassis box sections that the wishbones mount to , now it looks as though it would have been better if i had made cut out s larger to give more play when final fixing panel. will take a pic of one side of mine and post tomoz if you want to see it .

ant

On my 2B I have left the panels straight along the bottom edge but followed the chassis tube along the top and front. It then follows the natural shape of the side panel all the way from the rear mudguard.

Peter

Guest Charles B

I did the same as Peter with a straight fold along the bottom edge. I then pop riveted down the curve of the top chassis rail at the front, trimmed it off, and rolled it over the tube behind the nose cone. I made up a piece of stainless under the chassis at the front riveted to the folded edge of the two infill panels to stiffen everything up.

That sounds the same as mine. Straight return fold underneath, rivetted to side panel, bashed tight over the top and front chassis rails and rivetted to those too.

The only problem with this is that the fold is visible from directly the front of the car, with the infill panels being lower than the chassis at the front behind the box section cross member. Then again to see this you need to be pretty low down in front of the car, and the number plate gets in the way once you're road legal too.

Ant

Guest Twoscoops

Thanks guys....

I think I be going the route of not following the chassis contours at the bottom.

I made up a piece of stainless under the chassis at the front riveted to the folded edge of the two infill panels to stiffen everything up.

Charles, where did your get the stainless from...??? Everywhere I try they want silly money for a tiny piece....!!!

Cheers

T.

Guest MikeD318

Buy it direct from Robin Hood. You get a massive sheet for £40. I cant remember the exact size but if you look here at the bottom picture, the big sheet at the back is what they give you. ;)

Guest Charles B

Yes Robin Hood is probably the cheapest around, but obviously you have to go there to get it. Up here in Newcastle there is a place called the Metal Supermarket, I think they are nationwide. They are excellent for all kinds of metal, and they usually have offcuts.

The piece I rivetted underneath I put a fold in the front to stiffen it and make it look neater, and then I riveted it to the box section at the front. Its all hidden by the numberplate as well

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to fit my infill panels too. They need a little trimming around the box sections and I am intending not to follow the chasis along the bottom edge. However I have another problem that other builders may have encounted.

The tube that forms the engine mounts terminates at the top, front wishbone mounting box section. It seems to stick out 7-8mm beyond the side of the chasis and prevents the infill panel from fitting flush to the top chasis member. I may cut a slit in the tube, hammer it flush and weld the slit up again. Has anyone else come across this?